370 economists sign letter slamming Trump for 'magical thinking and conspiracy theories'

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/01/guyspleasedonotvotefortrump.html

2 Likes

According to the BLS, there are around 21,000 working economists in the US. I suppose that means roughly 20,000 either support or have no opinion while 470 disagree.

That’s less than 3% of economists.

/s

8 Likes

Great and all, but it’s not convincing anyone who wasn’t already convinced. There’s a conceptual error here, in believing that the reason people are voting for Trump is because he’s got a good economic policy. Moreover, people are voting for Trump because they believe Hilary Clinton to be a shrieking three-faced she-beast from the 7th layer of hell with thirteen breasts and the lower half of a lioness who has adopted human form for the explicit purpose of plunging the United States into a totalitarian dystopia where lazy black people and SJW’s working for the government, paid by your tax dollars, will barge into your Church to proclaim Jesus Is Banned And Everyone Is Bad For Being Racist, and you won’t even have guns to stop them.

I mean sure, you raise good points, but information is a whisper in the howling blood-drenched cacophony of Election 2016.

54 Likes

I would like to award you the Internet (for today) for that quote, but it’s so close to exact truth that I think I’m just going to curl into a fetal position and whimper instead.

22 Likes

Content rewritten for the Pro-Trump crowd:

We, the pencil-necked geeks who didn’t have to immediately go to work for minimum wage after high school, have a list of things that will quickly confuse and/or bore you. Just keep in mind that we know we are right, and that you are stupid.

Signed,

The same people who were listened to by the previous politicians who brought us to this situation.

16 Likes

32 Likes

Cry your little heart out, as long as you fucking vote!
https://img.pandawhale.com/post-46221-chris-farley-voting-kicks-ass-iHkz.gif

13 Likes

I was going to say much the same, with the tack that people who vote for him are the very people most likely to disregard evidence by experts. They simply see this is more “elitists” trying to tell them what to do when they already know what’s right.

3 Likes

How can people with imagination to buy into the most baroque, high suspension-of-disbelief conspiracy theories ALSO think “Just burn the whole thing down, it can’t possibly get any worse?” Because it can ALWAYS get worse.

14 Likes

See also the “Had enough of experts” thinking of the Brexiteers.

18 Likes

Interestingly, one of the privileged white guys that I was talking with at a Halloween party this past weekend said that he was voting for Trump because Trump had actually said that “fixing the economy” was one of his goals, as compared to Hillary, who would “just continue Obama’s failed policies”. But, other than that, he wasn’t a dick (unlike the other guy there who was pro-Trump).

7 Likes

So that’s great that all these fancy pants experts with their booklearnin’ are against Trump. Do you have any arguments that would appeal to someone who might wear a: “Trump: Finally a Candidate with Balls” tee-shirt?

7 Likes

Trump has more knowledge of economics in his tiny pinky than most so-called “economists” do all day!*

• Trump 2016!
12 Likes

“It’s right there on his hat. Where’s Hillary’s hat? Doesn’t she want to make America great?”

Fuck.

19 Likes

[quote=“simonize, post:9, topic:88545, full:true”]How can people with imagination to buy into the most baroque, high suspension-of-disbelief conspiracy theories ALSO think “Just burn the whole thing down, it can’t possibly get any worse?” Because it can ALWAYS get worse.[/quote]There has always been a certain perverse appeal to the prospect telling future generations, “Ha ha, we were the very last ones there before it got REALLY bad!”

1 Like

“Not being a dick” is easier than “not being ignorant,” but the latter might be more important.

11 Likes

5 Likes

That’s all well and good, but the supporters of this apricot-hued snake-oil salesman, like the supporters of Brexit, have supposedly “had enough of experts.”

11 Likes

370 economists…

~record scratch sound~

More than two economists agree on something?

19 Likes

I’m just hoping it gets renewed for another season.

8 Likes