5 dead and 5 police officers shot in Illinois mass shooting; gunman also dead

Yeah man. Even in the 90’s when I was in high school there (West High). Big school, lotsa people from all over (although, very few Asians). It was kinda whatever about race. All small fish, big pond. I knew people from very poor families in the same circles with kids from very rich families. No biggie. I am a white guy, so maybe other people’s experience was different. A lot of latin folks. It was fine. I recall Jr. High I had art class with a bunch of latino gangbangers. They were nice guys! Freshman year I used to eat lunch with what must have been the only Indian kid in the school of thousands of students. He seemed happy and fine!

Then I moved to Naperville for college, and a little after. 6 years in total. Man. Fuck those assholes.

2 Likes
12 Likes

It’s at least partially a financial desperation issue because before he had the thought “I’m going to shoot up my former workplace” he had to have had the thought “my life is over because I’ve been laid off” and we live in a society where that’s a thing.

11 Likes

“The mass shooting today.”
“Which one?”
“The mass shooting with the domestic violence guy.”
“Which one?”

Although, to be fair, domestic violence is the best predictor of mass shootings, so it’s almost a given…

Oh, and speaking of mass shootings, that one in Houston a while back that got covered here, the one where five cops and two other people got shot in a “drug raid”? Well… bad news about that shit; turns out it may have been less a “mass shooting” and more a “police cluster-fuck that got some cops shot as well”:
https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-police-shooting-affidavit-confidential-13620120.php
Cops basically kicked in the door, without warning, of a random house and killed the couple who lived there (and their dog) based on suspect “evidence.” Then lied about it. But hey, they found a bit of pot, so…

13 Likes

No apology necessary, truly.
I myself was not seriously thinking
anyone was staring at that
“waterfall”.
(will I ever see/hear that word again
w/o flashbacks?!)

1 Like

I actually heard some
Nutjob
say shrilly, “it’s not the gun…it’s the person!”
“What if he used his car? Would we make cars illegal!!??”
THIS is what we are dealing with.

I have never read/interpreted the
2nd Amendment
to mean each citizen has the right
to stockpile weapons of war.
How many muskets did a farmer
need back then…

3 Likes

You might predict that a mass shooter has committed domestic violence, but it doesn’t work the other way. There are millions of domestic violence incidents in the United States every year.

1 Like

6GY01XQBkf3lS|nullxnull

7 Likes

Ah heck, Miros beat me to the Canadian travel advisory. Still there are others. The UK one is so reassuring. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa

To be fair, travel advisories are not tourist advertisements.

2 Likes

Hey, the US are building the wall for them and the USA is paying. Why duplicate the work unless the number of refugees from the USA really jumps and there are mobs scaling the US wall?

1 Like

Well, obviously. I mean that if there’s a mass shooting, it’s almost a given that they have a domestic violence history. And domestic violence is the best predictor of mass shootings only because there are really no good predictors.

2 Likes

Firearms ownership.

It’s not perfect, but it’s far more reliable than any of the suggested pseudo-predictors.

5 Likes

Well, in the sense of “every mass shooter also…” rather than “gun owners are likely to…” Gun ownership + domestic violence becomes the best (though still not good) predictor of mass shootings. Well, mass shootings and/or being a cop.

2 Likes

So if you know someone did domestic violence, you think you can predict they will be a mass shooter? You know,100% of mass shooters breath oxygen. Let’s use that to predict who will be a shooter. Arrest all oxygen breathers! We must be safe at all costs.

Are you saying we take domestic violence seriously enough?

I don’t think it’s on quite the same level as “person who breathes oxygen”.

People who have committed grievous domestic violence often keep unfettered access to guns. If we took that violence more seriously, we might be able to head some of these killers off.

7 Likes

It’s a lot less like “person who breathes oxygen” and a lot more like a frequent pattern of escalation found in mass shooters specifically. Ya know, lest some one be frightened we tarnish the name of DV perpetrators :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

No mention of race, which suggests he was white.you know: the ‘default ‘.

4 Likes
5 Likes

3 things in common with most mass shooters:

1. Male
  2. Domestic violence
  3. Gun ownership

One of those three things we can control: gun ownership. And yet, so often, they still have guns. Maybe we should take that seriously.

9 Likes

Investigating and prosecuting domestic violence as if it were a ‘real’ crime would help, too.

10 Likes