512GB SD cards out--with $800 price tag

Creative Commons?

For a second there I thought you were quoting lyrics previously set to music.

BWAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha !! there shall be no stopping my raspberry pi now !!
AND the beaglebone black that you rode in on !!

2 Likes

Indeed. These days, you have high-level laptops with 512GB on their main SSD disk, which cost a small fortune to repair / replace. Adding a card like this would instantly double storage for such laptops, as well as reducing wear on the main drive (if used intelligently) and hence extending its lifespan. Right now, you can buy annoyingly-bulky external SSDs for £250; by doubling that, you’d get an extra internal drive through the card.

In fact, reducing the size of these chips is crucial in order to get laptops to expand SSD capacity beyond current limits. I think it’s great news all around. I’m now waiting impatiently for a microSD version.

They don’t necessarily need to sell cards, they are just showcasing the technology: “Hey world, we can make 512GB this small! Want some chips for all them mobile devices of yours?”

Some breakthroughs in SD card capacity were achieved by changing the standard, which meant some ports could not read newer and larger cards. You should make sure your port can read SDXC before splashing out :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.