6 killed in Mississippi shooting spree, but prayers are on their way

… has to have a POW-MIA flag on it too of course

or else it would mean you hated Our Troops :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

I’m sure I’m like most people in that the phrase “Mississippi Bureau of Investigation” fills me with warmth and confidence that this crime and all others will be solved right away!

11 Likes

The individual responsible has been taken into custody alive.

Tell me that the shooter is a white male without telling me that the shooter’s a white male…

16 Likes
8 Likes

Well… yeah. The flaglessness would continue until morale improves (i.e. because the shootings stopped).

6 Likes

Whereas thoughts are all over the place!

6 Likes

One important point to note is that nowhere did Tate Reeves say to whom he’s praying. Satan must be reveling in the fact that so many “Christians” are uttering fearful or hatred-filled prayers to Him in these circumstances.

2 Likes

The fact that it’s a mass shooting pretty much tells you it’s a white male all on its own.

7 Likes

I realize that your opener for this article is to allude to the fact that mass shootings are almost a daily occurrence in this country. However, when I read your opening words “Today’s mass shooting…” the lizard part of my brain that reacts to American consumer culture completed the phrase with “…Is brought to you by…”

15 Likes

… the NRA?

19 Likes

…Mr Mortician’s Gun and Coffin Store!

10 Likes

I saw a post somewhere that said rather than naming these mass-shootings after the place where they occurred, we ought to name them after a lawmaker that refuses to address the issue.

14 Likes

Whilst driving thru Kansas, Midwest USA, my then-BF and I passed a gun shop right next to a cemetery. Despite my shock, I was able to take a snapshot. It’s not on either hard drive or I’d’ve posted it.

9 Likes

It’s not even the current mass shooting anymore

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/19/us/memphis-mass-shooting/index.html

13 Likes

Yeah, that’s the thing, isn’t it - if you’ve heard about a mass shooting in the news, it’s never the current mass shooting, because (at least) another one will be happening/have already happened by the time the details come out. That’s the dynamic when there are 78 mass shootings in the last 50 days. The Memphis shooting was but one of three this day. The same day 6 were killed in Mississippi, 9 were shot in Georgia. In the day in between, there were two other mass shootings. So the mass shooting getting pushed out of the news by another one together still only represent 2 of the 7 that took place in that time-span.

It’s interesting what the criteria are for a mass shooting to be newsworthy. Apparently if only 4 or 5 people are shot, regardless of how many are killed, it’s not likely to be news. If the shooter doesn’t target any strangers, it’s not news. So the news item usually ends up being someone who goes on a rampage and shoots at least half a dozen people, including strangers (because the idea that you’ll be randomly gunned down while going about your business is what people find scary, apparently), and it still gets driven out of the news by the next one right away.

I have to say, the Republican approach of, “let’s not discuss gun control while we’re still raw from a mass shooting” isn’t just monstrously cynical, but highly effective when the mass shootings are too numerous to even keep track of.

*Edit: And there was one in Louisiana a couple hours ago, so I’m not sure if that’s a head start on tomorrow’s numbers or adding to today’s total…

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.