7 space movies from the 1960s

I like Quatermass And The Pit - 1967. The best of the Quatermass films/tv shows.
Also, Phantom Planet was a favourite of mine as a kid… did you notice the sound of the Solarites’ ships? Very similar to Darth Vader’s little fighter.

12 Likes

I’m in space right now!

Sorry P.

6 Likes

I remember seeing that one on Saturday afternoons; in the US it was called “Five Million Years to Earth”. I thought the bug-aliens were terrifying, in my 11-y.o. opinion.

7 Likes

You absolutely should see Planet of the Vampires, it’s great! It’s Italian, and the English dubbing is pretty good. The plot is very similar to Alien, right down to the giant alien skeleton. The ending, though… oh my, it is such a cliche of every sci-fi / horror movie made in the 1950s and 1960s. All that’s missing is the title card, “The End… Or Is It?”

Highly recommended. It’s an enjoyable movie.

5 Likes

OK, I just checked and I have obtained about 74 movies from the 60’s.

Probably not totally Space-related:

Cyborg 2087 (1966) (pretty much the whole basis for the Terminator franchise)

The Day of the Triffids (1962) (well there was some space in it and I always mention it in SF movie posts)

Mission Stardust (1967)

Mutiny in Outer Space (1965)

Planeta bur (1962)

Alphaville (1965)
and a whole ton of “B” movies. I remembered
When Worlds Collide but oh man 1951?

2 Likes

I love Barbarella! Equal parts sci-fi foolishness and 60’s mod free-love hippieness. I watch it every Christmas Eve because, duh, love is the savior of the universe, and also there’s an angel (an angel cannot make love, an angel is love!)!

I literally squeal anytime I see this movie referenced.

7 Likes

Also, I would pay all the moneys to have a brown shag / faux fur lined spaceship with functional replicas of classical art.

3 Likes

Based on that foundation… ALL movies are space movies. Hence…

4 Likes

If you like Planeta Bur and Silent Star, I’d recommend Ikarie XB-1, another eastern bloc movie based off a Stanislaw Lem book. Apocryphally, one of Roddenbery’s inspirations for Star Trek.

6 Likes

And another Lem adaptation, Solaris. 1972, but who’s counting.

5 Likes

Me. 5…4…3…2…1…Startu!

3 Likes

You’ve finally made a monkey out of me! I love you, Dr. Zaius!

2 Likes

You could start with a car.

1 Like

I like the effect of the night lights… shining the night sky up in …the day of the triffids

my point exactly…

1 Like

In office space, no one can hear you scream.

3 Likes

You probably missed the first 15 minutes, where a guy gets on a spaceship with other astronauts and flies into space.
Also, they were not on Earth all along. In a deleted scene (only on the LaserDisc version) you can clearly see the LEGO Statue of Liberty kit that Charlton Heston brings with him.

It’s been a while since I saw the movie but if I remember correctly they were well on their way back home by the beginning of the movie, with Heston’s character making one final log entry before going into hypersleep.

Less of the movie was set in space than Superman, and most people don’t think of that as a “space movie.”

2 Likes

Quatermass and the Pit was on UK TV again last week. Great film, but the end credits amuse me every time I watch it. They scroll over a scene of Andrew Kier and Barbara Shelley in a rubble-strewn street, but I guess the director didn’t shoot a sufficiently long take, so instead of just fading to black, they decided to loop the footage over and over again with a clumsy transition at each repeat. Five times!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.