Good selection.

5 Likes

I’d go with:
Planet of the Apes
Marooned
Barbarella
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

5 Likes

It’s kind of a stretch to call that a “space movie” considering OH MY GOD IT WAS EARTH ALL ALONG

8 Likes

Wait Planet of the Apes doesnt count …???
Is earth in space?

7 Likes

Rather than “happens in space” he really means “happens off Earth” as most of these movies take place on planets.

4 Likes

Is earth in space?

According to Rick Sanchez, everything is in space, so yes.

7 Likes

I like Quatermass And The Pit - 1967. The best of the Quatermass films/tv shows.
Also, Phantom Planet was a favourite of mine as a kid… did you notice the sound of the Solarites’ ships? Very similar to Darth Vader’s little fighter.

12 Likes

I’m in space right now!

Sorry P.

6 Likes

I remember seeing that one on Saturday afternoons; in the US it was called “Five Million Years to Earth”. I thought the bug-aliens were terrifying, in my 11-y.o. opinion.

7 Likes

You absolutely should see Planet of the Vampires, it’s great! It’s Italian, and the English dubbing is pretty good. The plot is very similar to Alien, right down to the giant alien skeleton. The ending, though… oh my, it is such a cliche of every sci-fi / horror movie made in the 1950s and 1960s. All that’s missing is the title card, “The End… Or Is It?”

Highly recommended. It’s an enjoyable movie.

5 Likes

OK, I just checked and I have obtained about 74 movies from the 60’s.

Probably not totally Space-related:

Cyborg 2087 (1966) (pretty much the whole basis for the Terminator franchise)

The Day of the Triffids (1962) (well there was some space in it and I always mention it in SF movie posts)

Mission Stardust (1967)

Mutiny in Outer Space (1965)

Planeta bur (1962)

Alphaville (1965)
and a whole ton of “B” movies. I remembered
When Worlds Collide but oh man 1951?

2 Likes

I love Barbarella! Equal parts sci-fi foolishness and 60’s mod free-love hippieness. I watch it every Christmas Eve because, duh, love is the savior of the universe, and also there’s an angel (an angel cannot make love, an angel is love!)!

I literally squeal anytime I see this movie referenced.

7 Likes

Also, I would pay all the moneys to have a brown shag / faux fur lined spaceship with functional replicas of classical art.

3 Likes

Based on that foundation… ALL movies are space movies. Hence…

4 Likes

If you like Planeta Bur and Silent Star, I’d recommend Ikarie XB-1, another eastern bloc movie based off a Stanislaw Lem book. Apocryphally, one of Roddenbery’s inspirations for Star Trek.

6 Likes

And another Lem adaptation, Solaris. 1972, but who’s counting.

5 Likes

Me. 5…4…3…2…1…Startu!

3 Likes

You’ve finally made a monkey out of me! I love you, Dr. Zaius!

2 Likes

You could start with a car.

1 Like