8 multitools that break the "Swiss Army Knife" mold

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/20/8-multitools-that-break-the.html

com-optimize%20(2)

2 Likes

I would take a Victorinox or a Leatherman over any of these…

4 Likes

The tools that are plates with multiple holes are unable to reach nuts and bolts in all but completely open locations. Far more useful are folding mutli-tools, particularly with pliers. There are even a few small such tools with locking pliers.

4 Likes

I found the keybar thing way to bulky for the three keys I wanted to put on it. Why not just a ring? Barbecue I hand them from my belt loop and they jingle all the time on those.

I went with the loop of leather with the one sizing bolt at the top and clip ring.

I wonder if breaking the mold will ever break the mold with breaking the mold.

2 Likes

The mold is like a box, and once it’s broken you can think outside of it. Man.

2 Likes

20 pounds of torque

?

1 Like

Unless the bolt is already finger-tight, trying to crank on it with a tiny tool like this that combines a saw blade or other cutting tool into one edge is just…stupid.

A company called Valle Hawk made some pretty good card-style tools back in the 70s, but they were mostly built around cutting edges and can openers. A company called TOPS makes a SNAP tool now that is just a cutting tool, but sort of card-sized and designed to fit in your altoids-size survival kit. I haven’t got the Valle Hawk tools, but I do have the SNAP, and it’s entertaining to play with. Luckily I have the luxury of preparing in advance for emergencies, so I can buy proper tools and not try to depend on a weirdly shaped piece of sheet metal that can only technically accomplish the tasks it was allegedly designed for.

The guy that designs and manufactures the Cha-O-Ha tools is a nice guy and a good designer, though. I’ve talked with him a few times.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.