911 calls show aftermath of Gender Reveal IED

The Amazon link appears to simply be a ball of colored powder that is dispersed by the energy of the shotgun. Real exploding targets can’t ship that way, require a rifle rather than a shotgun, and you certainly wouldn’t set one off on the end of the gun.

Real exploding targets are made of Tannerite or the like (Tannerite is brand name.) It is legal to ship because it’s a binary explosive and it’s shipped separated–what’s being shipped is not considered an explosive. Once you mix the two components of Tannerite you have a true high explosive which is subject to a gazillion handling regulations that apply to high explosives–for practical purposes the only legal way to use Tannerite is to mix it where you intend to use it and you can’t bring it back if you don’t use it. I don’t know if there is an acceptable disposal technique other than detonating it.

7 Likes

We had a gender reveal IED.

As in “In Emergency Delivery”. Decided to go for the surprise route for our first. My wife and midwife were sure it was a girl, but I got to cut the cord and have the first look

CSB (biology)
Nurse held the baby up backwards and I thought the two tiny bulges between the legs were testies. Turns out they were lips.
Me at first: “Its a BOY!”
Wife and midwife: “WHAT?!”
Nurse: …“um, look again”
Me: “Oh, wait, its a GIRL!”. (wanted a girl anyway; at the time there were a few little boys we knew and they were all jerks).
Found out beforehand for the second girl. Wanted to prep early.
/CSB

6 Likes

These things look like something Boris and Natasha would give to Moose & Squirrel.

5 Likes

Amazingly, you can buy these on Amazon!

Yeah, just to confirm what others said, these look like just like plastic balls filled with colored chalk or similar medium. Like many Amazon products, the poorly written ad copy is full of lies.

They look basically like the scaled up gender reveal golf balls. I remember when they used to make those as joke golf balls. You swap out your buddies ball and POOF it just disintegrates.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Gender-Reveal-Exploding-Balls/dp/B079C6G7XM/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=golf%2Bball%2Bgender%2Breveal&qid=1621871602&sr=8-7&th=1

2 Likes

“Because baby genitals” - FFS

4 Likes

Tannerite sells an actual high explosive gender reveal kit that CAN be ordered online, although I imagine rules vary by shipping address:

https://www.walnutcreekoutdoors.com/tannerite-gender-reveal-blue-boom-box-grk-b-08164/

7 Likes

I wonder if the Trans Community holds Gender Reveal Parties? That could be a neat excuse for a party and a chance for friends to give a display of their appreciation of their buddy’s courage in showing their true self to the world. Hopefully without starting forest fires or disturbing the foundations of neighbouring properties.

3 Likes

When I first encountered the phrase “gender reveal party”, I assumed that it was precisely that.

3 Likes

That’s one of the side effects of putting a reality TV “star” in charge of a Kardashev scale civilization.

And yet when I smack someone upside the head for detonating a bomb to announce what genitals their baby is going to have, people get pissed at me. Maybe I need to found a political action committee to lobby to modify the laws to allow that: the Percussive Attitude Correction PAC.

3 Likes

PACPACPAC.

Percussion Attitude Correction Progressive Advancement Coalition Political Action Committee.

3 Likes

Tannerite IIRC has to be shipped via FedEx or UPS. So does ammunition, IIRC.

As for the danger it poses - Tannerite is completely inert until mixed. So shipping is quite safe. Safer than black power or smokeless powder. Even when combined it is much safer than either of the two other readily available gun powders, as it requires a high energy impact, and won’t go up from something like a cigarette butt.

As far as how powerful it is - it is basically the same Relevant Effectiveness factor as black powder, which is .55. Modern smokeless powder is around 1.0 RE, depending on what mix it is.

So tannerite is actually safer than most explosives, and not any more powerful than the powder used in fireworks. The problem is when idiots use too much of it, or put it in something that can break apart and produce shrapnel.

5 Likes

I’m having a hard time thinking of something I would be less interested in knowing than the gender of someone’s expected child.

8 Likes

We might need to use some of the contributions to this PAC to appease Namco.

3 Likes

European is just American gay, so I feel the same.

Also, why are they called gender reveals? The reveal is about the biological sex of the imminent crouchspawn. So, shouldn’t they be sex reveal parties?

Edit: The thought lingered for a whole minute and now I want headlines like “Explosive Sex Party Causes Fires” - To be clear, I don’t want the fires to happen, I just want them to be reported as such when they happen, because they do, because Murica.

2 Likes

“We’re having a baby” (sets off explosive device)

#America

7 Likes

The same country that covers up female students in yearbooks (Florida: high school staffer edited 80 yearbook photos of girls to appear more "modest" | Boing Boing) also also sets off explosives to announce a child’s genitals to everyone.

11 Likes

What’s the thought process in determining that 80 pounds is sufficient?

2 Likes

there will never be a lack of people who need to make every single thing in their life about them - and post it to the 'gram, of course.

5 Likes

download

1 Like

Well, Florida.

1 Like