A 13-year-old boy takes over a school bus after the driver passes out (video)

Originally published at: A 13-year-old boy takes over a school bus after the driver passes out (video) | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Awesome job for the kid! Maybe dad should be careful what he’s bragging about though…

7 Likes

Nik Wallenda Hero GIF by Volcano Live! with Nik Wallenda

14 Likes

Wow. Not just “stopped the bus,” but took charge. “Someone call 911. Now. Someone call 911. I don’t care, call 911!” He knew exactly what to do.

22 Likes

Wow, glad that kid got in there and saved the day. Hopefully the bus driver is ok, was probably traumatic for those kids.

12 Likes

Absolutely, did good.

As a tip for others, from my CPR classes, one thing they say to avoid the pushback this kid is getting is you point to someone and say “You, call 911”.

It looks like the driver knew something was up and at least had started to get over thankfully.

19 Likes

My dad had a 1968 Volkswagen Beetle when I was young. He used to let us stand on the bench seat in the back, lean over him and steer, but only in parking lots or, like this dad said, pulling into the driveway. As long as he’s not letting his kid drive on city streets or the freeway, I really don’t see a problem with this. County roads might be a little iffy, but it depends what kind of county roads and whether or not there’s any other cars around. I saw an interview with this kid and he also said he watched the bus driver every day to see what she did and how she operated the bus, so he may have a stronger than average interest in motor vehicles and driving. Anyway, he certainly was the hero here.

15 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised, everyone involved is being reasonable and properly appreciative! I really thought it was going to end with the school trying to expel him or the dad getting arrested for having let him drive in the past.

5 Likes

Note that earlier this morning CNN on mobile reported the following (shown here not 100% verbatim):

His mother attributes his attentiveness (in this case, for knowing how to stop the bus from watching the driver and picking up on the driver’s distress) to not being glued to a cellphone because he does not own one.

CNN now does not show the above.

BTW: The audio cuts out for a moment starting at 0:57. In the original CNN mobile report, you could hear the kid yell “Oh, shit!” :blush:

10 Likes

Well done kid, well done

4 Likes

THIS, a million times over. Other kids were in the middle of their Tik Tok,

2 Likes

bart simpson GIF

6 Likes

I heard that same quote on the NBC Morning show this morning. Somebody was pushing it to tge media.

6 Likes

I saw the first version quite early this morning on our vanpool while heading to work. The report directly quoted the mother, she citing his “attentiveness”, etc., etc. Why CNN removed the quote… I leave that to others to ponder on.

5 Likes

Cool headed and did everything right, good job.

From the quote in the article, sounds like maybe a farm kid? Farm kids know how to drive things at an earlier age. Though if you just know where the brake is, I think most kids could figure out how to stop the bus.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.