A barista takes a close look at "Bulletproof Coffee"

If you like butter coffee, then you just might love my latest project…
I’m working on a line of delicious artisanal Mayo-Waters

6 Likes

[quote]Okay! So maybe MCT + butter in coffee induces light ketosis, and maybe it gives some people energy. So what’s the issue?
There isn’t one! Except for all the bogus claims about mycotoxins, and the rather indeterminate nature of whatever ketosis is happening. Well, and that thing about nicely roasted, acidic coffees not tasting great with tons of butter in. But you know what? People can do what they want, and hopefully now you’re a little better prepared to understand why.[/quote]

I’ve been doing butter coffee for a few weeks now; I live fad diets because each one is like a little experiment you get to run yourself.

1. I’ve noticed that a single coffee gets me through till at least 2pm. Usually when I think I am hungry, I am actually just bored.

2. Energy levels are difficult to compare, but I have small kids keeping me up all night; “normal” is pretty wretched.

3. I go for a 5k run/3k walk (alternating) during my lunch hour, and have a light snack in the afternoon.

The results are pretty inconclusive: I am losing weight (nothing drastic), building muscle mass (mostly from running-I have never really ran until this spring), and generally feel pretty good, but I feel most of that is probably attributable to the daily exercise.

I feel less hungry in general, until I get to dinner, anyway, where I eat pretty ravenously. Overall, I am not a total convert, but I think I prefer it to my prior morning fare of 400 calories of shredded mini wheats or whatever and still feeling wan by 11.

Tl;dr There is some stuff definitely happening, but it may or may not be worth it (unless you really like the taste of coconut oil (which I did, but then I got some really good stuff, and that is gunna be hard to give up).

1 Like

With the unfortunate addition of the ‘this will turn you into an unstoppable corporate He-Man and master of the boardroom, unlike those pitiful betas with their filthy plant breakfast!’ pitch.

I’d be the last to argue with the notion that sneaking delicious lipids into a tasty warm beverage (or even a cold one, if you use the various tricks that ice cream does to keep big chunks of coagulated fat from spoiling the party) might turn out quite well; but the puffery surrounding the product, along with the ‘zOMG sinister mold toxins are everywhere except here!’ stuff is pretty offputting.

3 Likes

Boiling water may or may not save you: unlike those filthy prokaryotes, the bacteria, relatively few fungi are pathogenic. Some, though, are real experts at the synthesis of various fascinating mycotoxins. As with most biological poisons, these are vulnerable to thermal destruction; but not necessarily until you get to temperatures rather higher than those that suffice for mere disinfection.

There are some fungi that normally live in soil or plant material; but will colonize humans(as in Coccidioidomycosis); but the usual concern is the mycotoxins(as in ergotism).

2 Likes

Barista takes a close look at “Bulletproof Coffee” discovers 100% bullshit.

Fixed your headline for you.

3 Likes

One of those thermally-vulnerable biological poisons being ‘caffeine’. Alas.

2 Likes

Obviously DNRTFA.

There is a significant portion of bullshit, but it is far from 100%. This is why many people skip the pure MCT oil and “mold-free” beans and opt for cold-pressed coconut oil (just 60% MCTs), and regular coffee (double shot ristretto short americano, please).

1 Like

75% ?

adding more characters

3 Likes

That’s very generous of you :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.