Wellness influencers are convincing people to shove coffee up their butts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/14/wellness-influencers-are-convincing-people-to-shove-coffee-up-their-butts.html

2 Likes

24 Likes

At the very least, it seems … unnecessary? At least for me, drinking a cup of coffee has a certain effect on my GI system not entirely unlike an enema, if you catch my drift.

23 Likes

Corn. May I suggest corn?

8 Likes

While “wellness” woo and fascist conspiracism pair naturallty, any kind of cure-all enema won’t gain any traction with right-wing men. A lot of those idiots are worried that wiping their bums after pooping might “make them gay”.

9 Likes

I had this mug back in residency, many decades ago. It’s still true!

25 Likes

They’re not very good “Influencers,” I remain entirely convinced coffee goes in the top end.

21 Likes

I wouldn’t touch your drift with a ten-foot pole.

10 Likes

It does treat caffeine addiction. So it has that going for it.

6 Likes

That time Robin talked about it. It did not prevent her 11 year battle with cancer though.

3 Likes

“Shoved”, tho?

Isn’t this the same kind of hyperbole the article objects to when the other side uses “jabbed” for vaccines?

4 Likes

“Jab” is a pretty neutral term in re: vaccines. It’s sometimes used as a synonym for “shot”.

3 Likes

Yes, that is true. I use it myself that way. (Totally up on my jabs, btw. Totally pro-vax here.)

I’m just pointing out that the article uses scare quotes for the tem (from the perspective of anti-vaxxers, presumably.) Here:

I read that as painting “jabbed” as unnecessary hyperbole. (Else why the scare quotes?)

It just seems that “shoved” is being used in the same way by the article.

5 Likes

Kopi Luwak is the right choice for the job I guess.

7 Likes

the lion king disney GIF

7 Likes

But isn’t the hyperbolic disdain justified in that case? And not in the other, anti-jab case?

I don’t mind using some of an other side’s tactics when justified. They’re not necessarily bad tactics just because the other side uses them, no?

5 Likes

LA-story-lunch-enema

10 Likes

The coffee and tea enema cure-all idea had a good go round back in the seventies during the hippie back-to-the-land, ahem, movement.

And of course, enemas were a big part of the Kellogg Sanitarium regimen way back at the beginning of the 1900’s, so it’s nothing new. It was a dumb idea then, and still is today.

6 Likes

At best these products are benign, and are causing people to throw away money on cures that are completely useless. At worst, they are hurting people—some seriously so.

Given what more is discovered about the gut microbiome** every day, I am in no doubt that this is never benign or harmless.

** Stephen Skolnick is as good a place to start as anywhere, but there are myriad other sources. His essays include one on smoking and coffee in relation to this topic.

3 Likes

Covfefeces?

8 Likes