A cheap room fan handily defeats a $650 Dyson

Made me think of this. (Apologies for derail.)

4 Likes

Yes. If it’s feasible to install them, ceiling fans give a nice comfortable air flow, and the better ones are very quiet. I’m a big f… well, you know.

1 Like

I’m still simultaneously amazed and not amazed that they had a roll of duct tape on board.

Ceiling fans are amazing

3 Likes

Why do people buy Dyson products at all? They are all badly made and perform like shit while costing literally 10x better devices. But I know people who won’t buy anything else, and keep re-buying every year because they break! Srsly, wtf? :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Each time I’ve tested out a Dyson vacuum cleaner I’ve been really unimpressed with the build quality. The materials seem to be engineered to be absolutely as thin as possible, which one could claim is to make them as light as possible, but they seem flimsy and wobbly rather than durable and light. They seem more like a minimum viable product rather than the premium tier products they are sold and priced as.

2 Likes

Which comes as a surprise to … no one.

1 Like

We have the same one.

Come to Virginia for the other 300 odd days of humid hell.

Dyson fans would just move steam here.

1 Like

One of my favorite movies of all time.
Thanks for this reminder.

We would routinely visit Johnson “Space City” in Houston years ago for kid-birthdays (now all grown up), and we have seen that box, that real box, live. It is a thing to behold!

2 Likes

And they are, from the vacuum repair guys I talk with (plenty, and far more often than I’d like), Dysons are not repairable or serviceable. They hate seeing those things come through their repair shop doors because they are largely unfixable.

3 Likes

Like any over-priced item, bragging rights.

2 Likes

Mount it upside down.

1 Like

I generally agree, though we’ve inherited one (I wouldn’t pay actual money for them) that’s pretty solid and reliable -although it does have a stupid bit of rubber with a hole about 1.5 cm wide just where the hose connects to the brush head so it clogs whenever you hoover up large pieces of crud, which is a terrible idea.

1 Like

I have two vintage vornados, maybe 80 to 90 years old. They could easily remove all your fingers and the blades sometimes hit the cowling. Both fans together are quieter than my Dyson, and with occasional oil, will last another 80 to 90 years.

1 Like

Brag about being stupid? :thinking: :rofl:

The marketing around Dyson products always seems to be centered around posing an annoyance, overselling the annoyance, and pretending that only Dyson can solve that annoyance.

Right now, I’m annoyed at loud air filters. Useful to know that the Dyson fairs fairly poorly in this aspect of the job.

2 Likes

Dyson thinks he’s like Elon Musk after spending a decade thinking he’s Steve Jobs (coloured see through plastic! iVacuum!).

No substance.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.