A Christian crowdfunding site has raised over $300,000 for the Kenosha shooter's legal defense fund

Plastering that balloneyshit all over fuckbook, no doubt.

12 Likes

That IS surprising A/F, but it’s actually better for the prosecutor (as much as I hate to say that.)

Protesters or not, get their families up on the witness stand and their tears of grief will make more of an impact on the judge and jury than those of any Black victim ever would.

16 Likes

“IF A THIEF IS CAUGHT IN THE ACT OF BREAKING INTO A HOUSE AND IS STRUCK AND KILLED IN THE PROCESS, THE PERSON WHO KILLED THE THIEF IS NOT GUILTY OF MURDER.”

It’s odd how these ‘christians’ seem to rely so much on extracts from the OLD testament, not the New (you know, the one with Christ in, and less of the ‘eye for an eye’ stuff), to justify their right-wing, gun-lovin’ assholery.

16 Likes

Hey all you christians: start calling your own group out when they espouse this stuff.

If you do, kudos. You’re one step closer to becoming an actual critical thinker (although when you hit that phase you probably won’t be a christian any longer).

If you don’t, then you’re arguing to “turn the other cheek” at the same time as you’re arguing “shoot them if you feel you’re in danger”. Pick one.

EDIT: spelling

15 Likes

Your point is taken re: muddying the waters, BUT generally speaking one does not want to put forth a “defense” in public of your client’s actions that make them MORE illegal. It generally isn’t a great strategy.

State charges, the President has no pardon power on this one.

6 Likes

One of the articles I read did address that head-on — but they insisted that Jesus was actually correcting people on the application of “eye-for-eye,” because OTHER people were taking it too far. “It’s not about pacifism,” they say, “It’s about not escalating the situation.” Which still doesn’t work for Kyle Rittenhouse…

10 Likes

One question I continually ask myself is how many of these ‘Christian’ fuckwits had members of their immediate family go to Europe with the US Forces to fight against the Axis Fascist forces, ‘cos, by definition, they were/are Antifa. Also those who fought in the Pacific Theatre were the same.
It would be moderately entertaining to watch them wriggle out of that dichotomy.

11 Likes

As of now, I believe he’s represented by that asshat John Pierce who made the rounds on all the right-wing media talking about what a good boy Rittenhouse was, and Lin Wood, who is a lawyer with, to put it very charitably, a mixed record who is primarily concerned these days with spouting off on social media about how his first amendment rights are being violated.

7 Likes

‘Life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth’ was an upper bound - exacting revenge beyond that limit is utterly forbidden. ‘That’s the most you can do, and then it’s over!’ In effect, a primitve prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment, and against escalation.

And then if you read Mishna and Gemara, you find that lex talionis could itself be invoked only in the most extreme circumstances, and that in virtually all cases a court could impose only significantly lesser punishments. Talion (from which we get the word, ‘retaliate’) was reserved only for the most heinous cases.

6 Likes

Really? They’re not adding in the federal crime of crossing state lines with the intention of committing a crime?

10 Likes

Jesus H Christ what a shit show.

The kid never should have been there. Period. He certainly shouldn’t have been there armed. Massad Ayoob would have a field day with everything he did wrong. And the DA will will eat him up. It will be framed that he was looking for a fight. He may indeed have had to fire in self defense - but it was only after multiple failures where he put himself in a situation where he would be forced to do so.

7 Likes

It would be pardoned before the ink dried, if anyone under Trump and Barr had the guts to pursue it in the first place.

3 Likes

Its going to be a helluva commissary fund for his 25-50 years in prison. But most likely his wingnut welfare lawyer is going to pocket it, like every other far right fundraising effort.

Wisconsin does not have the death penalty and only has a maximum sentence of 25 years for people under 18 (I believe the sentence is per crime, so it could be 50 years as 2 consecutive sentences for each murder)

BTW here is the criminal indictment. A full rundown of the incidents in question is under “Probable Cause”

8 Likes

Its a state crime as well. But they didn’t bother. Instead they are charging him with illegal possession.

1 Like

I think you mean consecutive

3 Likes

Edited. Thanks

1 Like

Surprise! Many/most evangelicals don’t consider catholics (or the pope) christians

7 Likes

This is what Christianity represents today: bigotry, hatred, ignorance, and murder. If you as a Xian want it to be different, then it’s up to you to change your own culture.

11 Likes

There are plenty that do, they just don’t have the same deep pockets, their own mass media, and regular media attention that the white, millennialist, evangelicals have had for the past few decades. For far too many of us, they have come to dominate the definition of what it means to be a Christian, which ignores the incredibly diversity of the religion.

13 Likes

There has never been much difference between fascists and Xians.

6 Likes