A dozen subscribers to a celebrity-backed meal kit company have had organ removal surgery after eating "French Lentil + Leek Crumbles"

Originally published at: A dozen subscribers to a celebrity-backed meal kit company have had organ removal surgery after eating "French Lentil + Leek Crumbles" | Boing Boing

blink-182 wtf GIF

13 Likes

Gwyneth Paltrow

Of course Goopy, the current queen of wellness woo, is involved. She’s probably urging the company to claim the contaminant is perfectly harmless to those who positively affirm it is so.

10 Likes

Back when such things mattered to me, lentils got down to nine cents a bushel ( mid '90s, IIRC ). Love lentil soup, but sadly it’s not for those susceptible to kidney stones or gout. Lentil crumbles, though ?

1 Like

And this is why I avoid legumes or any vegetable for that matter.

This bit is intriguing:

We have spent the past ten days working with the FDA, state agencies and multiple independent labs, as well as experts in microbiology, food safety and toxicology to conduct testing. These tests cover common food-borne pathogens, toxins, and allergens. Results thus far have all come back negative.

They don’t know what it is, they are pretty sure it was that particular dish, and people are having surgery, FFS. And - to repeat - they still don’t know what it is!!

Weird, and worrying.

(@orenwolf, this one’s comments link going straight back to the post surprised me, as it is a Mark Frauenfelder post! ETA Mark’s Indian Government Censorship post does the same.)

4 Likes

Save 50% off your next order when you use the code: “I WAIVE ALL RIGHTS”

10 Likes

Somehow, the far right and the far left seem to meet in the huckster marketing zone.

2 Likes

It’s not clear to me whether there’s a kind of food poisoning that requires you to have your gall bladder removed, or if some doctors just diagnosed the symptoms as being caused by gallstones that happened to be present anyway?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.