A Dr. Seuss addiction

[Read the post]

1 Like

They’re beautiful sculptures for sure, and naturally a good investment. But boy i bet the purchase was about the value of a small home. I think if one were handy and artistic it’d be easy to make decent facsimiles of the sculptures, it’d be a fun project to attempt (:

2 Likes

I was just thinking I’d have to do this myself. It would be a really fun project, and easy to do. The sculpture quality of the originals wouldn’t be difficult to replicate and even improve upon.

I think the trickiest bit is the texture and look of the antlers, but i’m confident there’s enough resources out there on how to sculpt those. Either way it wouldn’t have to look perfect to be a cool project. I might consider getting some sculpey in the future to make some of these when i have the time.

1 Like

From how different they look from the rest of the sculpture, I’m fairly certain that they are real antlers and real fur bits, even a real starfish, incorporated into the sculptures. they might not me though…

sculpey/fimo would be awesome to make a miniature desk set.
for a lifesize set i’d make a wire frame and use air hardening clay.

I myself have never had the problem of blowing a hundred grand on rare sculpture. It must be rough.

6 Likes

Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel) got his start working on actual animals that were housed at a park in Springfield, MA. If you’re in the area, it’s worth the few dollars admission to go and visit the whole Forest Park, and see the pared-down animal area where it all began.

1 Like

I believe Geisel used real antlers in the originals.

They do look genuine. One can probably buy or order some real ones off a taxidermy business. But making fake ones are also doable.

I feel your pain. My wife and I bought a Dr. Seuss private collection artwork in 2004. We now have 14, including the Anduluvian Grackle pictured in your article. Don’t feel bad, though. The first piece we bought (Joseph Katz and His Coat of Many Colors) is now valued at ten times what we paid for it. We didn’t buy it as an investment, but the pieces have proven to be a better investment than many.

2 Likes

You’re right. I can verify they are real antlers and animal parts, per a conversation with the collection’s curator. Ted Geisel’s dad ran a zoo and young Ted would get the various parts when they became available and make his whimsical creatures. I’ve never heard they were created to promote a book; he made these throughout his life. He also gave some to friends, so other pieces are bound to show up sooner or later.

2 Likes

Then they’re not serial numbers.

1 Like

They are, if each animal edition is number from the same start.

It would be difficult, otherwise.

Possible, if the issue assumes that animal A has, say, serial #s 1…1 million, animal B has serial #s 1 million…2 million, etc.

Or, everything starts at 1.

In which case, a family of 4 could all share the same serial number, as they are numbers issued in series, yet parallel.

They could not, however, share the same GUID, since those are globally unique, but not serial.

1 Like

Until the fast approaching day when a high-end 3D printer (or other addictive manufacturing process) can reproduce it ad nauseam. These things are just painted resin sculptures, right? Hope you all have air-tight provenance for these…investments.

Oh the money you’ll blow!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.