A dying Stars Wars fan got an advance screening of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I remember being a wee youngling when I learned Star Wars was actually part of nine movies, and I loved Star Wars so much that it actually concerned me that I wouldn’t live long enough to see them all. While my love for the newer movies greatly diminished over the last couple of decades (compared to the OT), I would be crazy pissed if I knew I would miss the last movie by a couple of weeks.

9 Likes

Aw.

You and @Brainspore are absolutely correct that it doesn’t actually matter if the movie is any good or not, because the kid got his wish granted, and that’s awesome - he probably was too thrilled to care…

6 Likes

As a cancer survivor (absolutely nothing compared to end-of-life hospice care), from personal experience even briefly confronting one’s mortality does put things in a shifted perspective. When I was younger I almost always went to movies alone. After my cancer I take a loved one whenever possible, because even if the movie disappoints, the company does not.

15 Likes

You’re not the only one. :slight_smile:

Listening to the online bellyaching, it’s easy to forget that TFA and TLJ were both massive critical and box office successes.

Anyway, on the thread subject: I, too, got a little teary-eyed. It’s great that we have enough good people around that this kind of a thing is a possibility.

5 Likes

I bet dying puts a lot of shit into perspective. I would bet just getting to share something with his son would be very special. I’d love to see a crappy Star Wars film with my dad. Yes,I’d rather see a good Star Wars film…but I don’t think this is really about the movie.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed TLJ too. Right from bursting out laughing when Luke tossed the light sabre. I liked that it showed Luke as being fallible, and that he’d grown and changed due to his experiences. I like that Rey is rocking some serious Force Powers, after growing up in a far harsher environment than Luke. I really enjoy Kylo Ren as a snivelling edgelord living in the shadow of Vader. I wish that there was more time for the story to explore Finn’s emotional reaction to everything that has happened to him. I also wish that it had been Leia piloting the faster-than-light kamikaze attack; but that’s 20/20 hindsight. All in all. it kept me guessing, and so was, for me, 12 parsecs more fun than The Force Awakens.

Having said that, I can see why some people absolutely hate it :smiley:

I hope that this father and son had a better time than Han and Kylo. All round a great display from all concerned.

6 Likes

I think I liked old, ‘crotchety & surly’ Luke Skywalker far more than I have any other version of that character; and his Jedi ‘mind trick to beat all mind tricks’ in TLJ was a both superb demonstration of what a complete master he’d become, as well as a fitting sendoff.

12 Likes

Luke complained a lot throughout the original trilogy too, but hearing all those complaints channeled through a surly, disillusioned old hermit let his bitterness age like a fine wine.

10 Likes

He probably laid awake at night going, “All I wanted was to go to Toshi Station to get some power converters…”

7 Likes

Obligs:

4 Likes

Somehow I haven’t seen this before.

2 Likes

Beware that the Robot Chicken Star Wars skit playlist is a rabbit hole the size of the Mammoth Cave Complex.

3 Likes

OH then i have seen this before, it’s just been awhile! I love Robot Chicken!

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a 0.75 sec punch line with a 10 sec buildup.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.