A dying Stars Wars fan got an advance screening of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/02/a-dying-stars-wars-fan-got-an.html

8 Likes

We’ll see you on the other side of the Resistance.

10 Likes

Reminds me in the plot of the movie “Fanboys” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboys_(film)

6 Likes

And in the picture, the son is head and shoulders shorter than the storm-troopers.

Maybe I’m reading too much into this, but could the rest of the family not get free to co-watch with the patient, or is there no rest-of-the-family?

This is heartbreaking :cry:

2 Likes

My guess is that the family wants some privacy during this difficult time and thus chose not to publicly share any photos in which their faces can be seen.

11 Likes

… and there were only two spare storm-trooper helmets.

Actually, that does make some sense, and is a possibility I had not considered.

Still heartbreaking, but a bit less so considered from that angle :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

when people complain on online fandoms (particularly star wars), i remind myself of things like this. <3

10 Likes

Yeah, this is how the Light Side is supposed to work.

12 Likes

You beat me to it.

Unlike the ironic ending of Fanboys, I genuinely hope the film the dying fan got to watch doesn’t turn out to be crap:

7 Likes

If the fan enjoyed The Last Jedi enough for his dying wish to be a special screening of Rise of Skywalker then hopefully HE still got to enjoy it even if other people don’t.

16 Likes

Yup, kid gets their wish, regardless of what it is. That’s how it works.
Good work, everyone.

11 Likes

Fair point; I just hope he got to enjoy it.

Ironically; personally I hate the prequels, didn’t mind Rogue One, and I actually liked the TLJ.

12 Likes

Somehow this lovely story makes me think of the classic top-secret trope, “I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.”

4 Likes

His first choice was meeting Joe Namath, but Joe’s not falling for that one again.

6 Likes

I find it heartwarming? We’re all going to die – last I heard it was the only certainty other than taxes. :wink: It’s good to see a company do something nice (and yes, it’s good PR, but that doesn’t stop it from also actually being nice) for someone who is about to, well, grow more powerful than we could possibly imagine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Full disclosure:

When my mother passed, her children were aged 19, 16, 13, and 3.

That last Christmas was achingly hollow, since we all knew (well, the youngest did not) that it would be her last.

That was decades ago, and we’ve made huge strides (culturally) in handling end-of-life issues since then, but my personal experience of that event in the past certainly colors my perception of this story.

12 Likes

My father died in the course of an afternoon when I was three and my brother was in the womb, of cancer which went from undiagnosed to fatal in a few hours. Perhaps oddly, this instilled in me a desire to ask many of life’s deepest questions, and pursue a set of answers which, I’m happy to say, I’m pretty satisfied with at the moment. :slight_smile: I also believe that we humans are multidimensional informational entities which use bodies and “physical” manifestation as a form of education/performance art/adventure tourism, so it’s not so difficult for me to look at situations involving death as often having positive attributes. For those of us who believe in multiple incarnations, death certainly has less finality.

4 Likes

They got Luke “a little short for a stormtrooper” Skywalker to stop by in disguise as well? Nice.

5 Likes

It suddenly got as dusty as Tattooine in here.

9 Likes

Do they have an industrial onion-chopping plant on Tattoine? Because that would explain things…

9 Likes