A farm bill blunder legalized weed across America

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/15/a-farm-bill-blunder-legalized-weed-across-america.html

6 Likes

This definitely showcases the importance of being weirdly specific when it comes to legal/law documents. In a monkey paw or evil genie situation whatever you leave out on your wish it will be twisted and turned against you, much how this hemp bill played out. On the flipside i think it’s a useful mistake because it shows that society did not collapse once these THC related products were made available.

11 Likes

Ummm…based on the events of the last 6 years, I’m not so sure about that. Correlation == Causation.

ETA: /s

10 Likes

Is delta-8 and CBD really a thing, or is it just placebo? None of the D8 or CBD products I’ve tried have had any effect on me at all.

3 Likes

Ummm…based on the events of the last 6 years, I’m not so sure about that. Correlation == Causation.

Ummm, no. I doubt that pretty much any USians that I’m worried about right now are potheads.

8 Likes

Nobody knows. Nothing means anything anymore.

11 Likes

It was meant to be sarcastic…added /s.

2 Likes

Another loophole: 22-gram cookies packing a whopping 50 mg of delta-9 THC — perfectly legal, as long as it doesn’t exceed that magical 0.3% threshold.

So you’re saying I can sell my cannabis cookies in the US?

(They are only 15 grams each but they pack a wallop.)

4 Likes

I haven’t tried it myself, i am curious but my job requires me to stay away from anything that isn’t prescribed. But looking online it does seem like Delta 8 & 9 do have intoxicating effects, but either whatever you tried wasn’t potent or the amount wasn’t enough to give a noticeable effect. I know that the first time i tried pot i didn’t even get a buzz, though later on the second time i tried i took a bigger hit and i sent myself to outer space :sweat_smile:

For CBD i’ve had a really uneven experience. It could be that if you cheap out you’re probably getting a really low dose that isn’t doing shit. Maybe a small amount of times i’ve taken CBD did i get a slight euphoric relaxing effect, but as i mentioned i’m trying to stay clean for my job so i no longer dabble in it.

4 Likes

Don’t try a few poppy seeds.

2 Likes

Aha! I thought so! No citation necessary.

2 Likes

Holy shit, just legalize weed, and all other narcotics, also. These convoluted half-measures just cause more problems.

Making drugs illegal serves no moral purpose.

5 Likes

Delta 8 is literally just regular weed; the thing is, weed has tons of THCa when it’s in plant form, but once you burn it, that THCa gets converted to THC through a chemical process (decarboxylation). That’s how this loophole exists, it technically doesn’t contain “THC.” Weirdly, under this logic, edibles would still be illegal because they have to be pre-decarboxylated to absorb via digestion.

3 Likes

It also showcases the value of being able to delegate the details to the career civil servants who know the ins and outs of their particular corner of expertise, rather than having politicians who are experts at getting elected and little else trying the legislate the details.

But with the end of Chevron deference, I guess that’s not an option any more.

5 Likes

I’m too high to be reading this rn
euyp4yskbyhhm6q2nm1s-3823622157

2 Likes

Is it really though? I’ve never tried it, but that shit is at every gas station here now. I asked someone who used to work at a gas station/“dispensary”/nicotine-vape store and she said it just gives you a headache.

Anybody have experience they want to share?

2 Likes

I’ve been using D9 for a few months, 1/2 gummie right before bed - gentle full body high that relaxes my thoughts and knocks me right out. Full gummie gives me the spins, but I’m a lite weight. I tried another called THCP and the effect lasted for like 18 hours, which was a bit much for me. I’ve tried D8 as well, was fine - but I prefer D9 overall. None of them gave me a headache.

I haven’t smoked pot in 28 years so not sure how it compares, I’m in FL and don’t need it medically so this is the best that is legally available to me right now. I’ve read that real “smokers” call it weed-lite which is fine by me.

3 Likes

No delta8 is not D9THC aka regular weed. It is a synthetic derived from CBD which does not exist in meaningful quantites in “regular weed”. I am assuming you meant thca flower not d8 because then your post would make perfect sense.

4 Likes

Ah, yeah, I constantly get them mixed up, thanks for the correction!

1 Like

But we are supposed to ignore experts and rely on stupid judges to interpret this kinda stuff. The SCOTUS told me so!

3 Likes