A first hand account from Chicago’s Wednesday night #TrumpProtest

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/10/a-first-hand-account-from-chic.html

5 Likes

Curious, anyone know if protests like this—against a presidential election result—have ever happened before in the States?

3 Likes

At least once; 1860.

12 Likes

Gosh, that certainly bodes well, doesn’t it?

11 Likes

I can’t tell if you’re just jokingly referring to the secession as “protests”… The way I remember that being presented in class was like the southern state governments had already planned it in concert, basically “gave notice” and started conscripting troops. Were there really demonstrations in the street like these?

4 Likes

In Chicago this doesn’t really matter. There needs to be a long march like this through the heart of redsville. Like freedom riding for a new age. I don’t know if that would help either.

I’m glad the police didn’t over-react.

8 Likes

Remember the good old days?

9 Likes
9 Likes

[quote=“TheGreatParis, post:6, topic:89096”]
In Chicago this doesn’t really matter. There needs to be a long march like this through the heart of redsville. Like freedom riding for a new age. I don’t know if that would help either.[/quote]

Sending a group of angry protesters shouting “F*** Donald Trump” into territory where people actually LIKE Donald Trump, after months of telling them they can’t vote for him because he’s uncivil and says offensive things… That seems like a great idea.

We do, however, need diplomatic liberals to spend more time in deeply red areas explaining why people are genuinely afraid of Trump. Putting aside the stupid policies that are likely to get us into wars, wreck the economy, and quadruple the national debt, it’s his enabling of hate speech and the likely post-Brexit-like hate crime spike that we are really worried about.

8 Likes

I really find those Love Trumps Hate signs grammatically confusing.

5 Likes

Thanks. I came to say this. A quick glance at the map shows that the cities were with Clinton. It is in the less populated areas that you might want these protests, of course less people to see it. We should think about how to do that.

5 Likes

I just realized that it worked and I was taking it for granted.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Too little, too late.

That was the inauguration, though; after some hinky shit where the Supreme Court had gotten involved. Were people protesting in multiple cities across the country when it was called for Bush?

2 Likes

You’re right! I never heard of any protests when it was called for Bush. I’ll look it up in a while.

1 Like

I honestly can’t recall any protests right after any other election was called, so I appreciate it.

2 Likes

I haven’t been able to find anything on protests right after other previous elections, except maybe in 1860, as another commenter mentioned. Looks like Trump has the honor of being the most hated president elect in well over a century.

6 Likes

Surprise, surprise.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.