A first look at the remastered System Shock 2

Originally published at: A first look at the remastered System Shock 2 | Boing Boing

1 Like

Nightdive Studios taught me never to back a video game on Kickstarter.

2 Likes

It definitely looks and plays like a remastered old game. A remake might’ve been wiser

2 Likes

I’m guessing because of their association with Otherside Entertainment, who were touting System Shock 3 and were responsible for the clusterfuck that was Underworld Ascendant?

Off topic, if anyone wants a fantastic immersive sim experience that at first glance doesn’t look like one, I highly recommend Streets of Rogue. I’ve been playing this thing for literal years now, thanks to it playing fantastically on portables (first, my Switch, now my Steam Deck), and it still surprises me.
Lack of first-person perspective aside, I think the game is one of the purest distillations of the formula I’ve played. Every scenario can be approached multiple ways, and the interlocking systems are incredibly robust, allowing an extraordinary amount of player freedom and experimentation.

But then, if you want a game that comes closest to Warren Spector’s “One City Block” ideal immsim, you need to try Shadows of Doubt, currently in early access, but even so, utterly remarkable in its level of detail.

2 Likes

I have heard some really interesting things about Shadows of Doubt. I don’t know if I want to play that kind of game or not, but the idea sounds fascinating.

1 Like

IIRC, Nightdive’s monthly updates went from “such-and-such level is nearly complete” to “check out this exciting concept art!” to “we have brought in new leadership and revamped the team” to largely radio silence.

Also, is “Streets of Rogue” meant to evoke “Streets of Rage”?

1 Like

I believe so, but it’s a completely different game, and the name always leads to some confusion.
At a glance, Streets of Rogue looks like a top-down, pixelart twinstick shmup.

1 Like

Writer of the article here: I can vouch for Shadows of Doubt. It’s still in early access, but it’s hugely impressive even as a proof of concept. It’s $20, pick it up!

1 Like

Good luck, console gamers. :grin:

No reason for the pessimistic tone - the System Shock 1 remake is scheduled for release on Steam in a week and looks good :slight_smile:

They also did Bladerunner, so pessimism is warranted.

1 Like

Reminds me of the also dog shit remaster of the excellent Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. And it seems Ubisoft has quietly shoved the project back into the basement

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.