A goose stuck in a decades-long love triangle has tragic ending

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/12/a-goose-stuck-in-a-decades-lon.html

7 Likes

Tragic end? I should be so lucky.

9 Likes

I don’t think birds work that way.

Oh, pray tell just what way do birds work?

4 Likes

they work really well roasted in an oven!

9 Likes

These aren’t Canada geese, but from my experience the way geese work is that they crowd into an area, shit all over everything, and block the street figuring you’re not brave enough to run over them. When challenged, they will hiss and lunge at you, so make sure you’ve got a stick on hand–they are bigger than they first appear.

13 Likes

Yeah I was going to say… someone buy someone a dictionary. Wild animal lived long life and got to die being taken cared of indoors vs being killed by sickness or a fox or a cat.

4 Likes

Still a better love story than ‘Twilight’…

15 Likes

If your cat is killing geese and swans, you probably shouldn’t return to your house.

11 Likes

Healthy ones, yes. Sick blind ones are more likely to be picked off.

Yeah, seriously. If nothing else, he’s the equivalent of a 110-year-old person, in terms of longevity.

2 Likes

It sounds better than just “has ending”

Nothing wrong with gander fluidity.

22 Likes

A lovely story, I disagree with your title for it though.

2 Likes

When I was small, there was a Gander who ‘adopted’ a duck family 3 years in a row. If it was the same female duck I don’t know. I do know he habitually raised 11 of the 12 ducklings, 2 nests a year. As opposed to the way ducks do it on their own, which is losing 9 of the 12 in the first 2 days. The gander chased them on land every evening and watched them like a hawk all night long. As soon as one strayed a bit it was brought back. The male ducks were tolerated, but not too close. (Male ducks are gone pretty fast anyway I think)

3 Likes

Is there something about Wellington that causes birds to feel comfortable pursuing non-traditional relationships?

4 Likes

This is a domestic goose, bred up by human beings over the millennia for food (meat and eggs) and feathers. They’re also good guard animals (and so presumably were bred by humans to retain their aggressiveness):

And Canada geese numbers have become a problem due to human modification of the landscape:

This is exactly the kind of post there hasn’t been enough of ever since fucking Trump ran for office.

More wonderful things, less miserable shit, plz.

14 Likes

Indeed, they do make this fatal error (evil laughter).

2 Likes

It’s the new high speed connection between the White House Office of Miserable Shit and the standing Congressional Committee on No Ways and He Was Mean’s that is to blame.

1 Like