A high school coach was fired after his basketball team threw tortillas at Latino rival team

Originally published at: A high school coach was fired after his basketball team threw tortillas at Latino rival team | Boing Boing

5 Likes

grumpy-cat-good

Assholes.

23 Likes

Boy, it sounds like there were a number of offenses he committed where each alone was a reason to fire him.
christ-what-an-asshole

16 Likes

The damn town is part of an island chain that is still mostly part of the municipality of Tijuana. I doubt there’s a kid on his own team who doesn’t eat Mexican food every week. This is stupid racism even by stupid racist standards.

16 Likes

What bunch of sore winners…

2 Likes

Coronado is pretty white for San Diego county though. I’d guess less than 20% Hispanic/Latinx. It’s basically just a naval base, a famous hotel, and a bunch of surf shops. Escondido is about half Hispanic/Latinx.

2 Likes

Per the census Coronado is about 15% Hispanic, compared to 34% for the county and 39% for the state. Definitely an outlier for the area and pretty weird considering the proximity to Mexico.

4 Likes

Even rich white folks in San Diego tend to eat a lot of Mexican food though. One of the eateries at that fancy pants hotel is a taco bar.

6 Likes

I’m sure the percentage of people who work in Coronado who are Latinx/Hispanic is well above 50% if you don’t count the navy.

1 Like

America’s Finest City

2 Likes

You ever look at those finely detailed demographic maps of american cities on wikipedia?

source

American cities are pretty segregated. If you pick any small neighborhood, you’re going to find some sort of deviation from the mean.

3 Likes

“predominantly”

The way the superintendent and board handled this is a model. Swift, unqualified apology and action. Coronado is a very conservative community and many there will try to justify what the kids and coaches did, but the district did the right thing without delay. I hope they all survive politically.

9 Likes

I was there in person recently (took the bus the wrong way, got off just to look around).

There’s a lot of entrenched Navy families, and the rest. White people seemed to be the most prolific consumers of POC labor, and some yuuuge Trump banners still flying from homeowners’ homes after the presidential election. It’s easy to tell it’s a “white” town.

8 Likes

The couch, I gather, was fired for his rather unprofessional, and unsportsmanlike cursing at the opposing coach. (and perhaps this was a “last straw” moment, rather than being the sole reason in his case). If he was the one responsible for the tortillas, rather than the offending players, I assume the article would have mentioned that.

Why were the team members who were engaged in throwing things at the other team not banned from school sports? The summary says “at least 2” so I presume it at least was not all of them. Even without the racist component of them choosing to throw tortillas, (assuming it was because the opposing team was Hispanic, and not just because that was what was most popular from the concession stand and so was what they happened to have on hand), throwing anything at your opponents is severely unsportsmanlike, and should be grounds for banishment, or a years suspension from school sports at the very least.

I have noted that in a lot of sports, “trash talk” and unsportsman-like and even violent behavior is quite common. Including among fans. (Looking at you Philly football fans, and especially at you European football fans) [see what I did there?] Is there simply a systemic problem of shitty behavior among sports players and fans? This is not even the first food related offense in sports news this month.

1 Like

Sounds like a bit of public display that really…fell flat.
(Thank you, I’ll show myself out).
Srsly, though, fucking asshole racists, and wasting food on top of that. Grrrr.

5 Likes

Won’t someone think of the tortillas? :grin:

2 Likes

It is also really nice to have it be a 5-0 decision.

1 Like

Came here for this. Not disappointed.

3 Likes

Should have thrown Wonder Bread back.

6 Likes