High school football coaches fired after allegedly forcing player who eats Kosher to eat pork

Originally published at: High school football coaches fired after allegedly forcing player who eats Kosher to eat pork | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I’m not sure that all seven of the “football coaches” on a team are necessarily getting paid. It seems to me that at least some of that might be voluntary.

3 Likes

As whackadoodle as their cult is, Hebrew Israelites are due as much First Amendment protection for their dietary restrictions as are mainstream Jewish denominations. The school was smart to fire these bullying bigots before it got crushed by a serious civil rights lawsuit.

22 Likes

Shabbat Shalom!

10 Likes

At my old high school, coaching is a part time job that pays a stipend. Sports that require more hours get higher stipends. I just checked and they have 13 assistant coaches on the Football team which has 90 players on the roster.

I used to think my school spent too much money on football, but since I’ve gotten older and stayed in the same town, I’ve heard lots of stories about students who only stayed in school and only worried about passing classes so they could stay on the football team.

9 Likes

4 Likes

Just to be clear, the student is presumably Black.

9 Likes

Obviously this is a huge issue regarding freedom of religion.

But one thing I haven’t seen mentioned in any of the articles is any concern with the fact that the reason for this ‘punishment’ was that he missed a VOLUNTARY extra practice BECAUSE HE WAS INJURED. So, two very good reasons why any type of retribution, even just ‘drop and give me 10’, would have been wrong in any case.

The main entrance to the school is dwarfed by the locker room building. The value system of this school is suspect in so many ways; they just got caught because this time the bigotry was religious.

30 Likes

I’ve read that Ohio is called the South of the North.

7 Likes

Imagine if they just cut that down to two coaches or something silly like that. The school might have enough money left over for, I don’t know, a music program, or just replacing all of those old fraying textbooks that every high school has.

6 Likes

Too soon?

4 Likes

Watch the coaches attempt to argue that high school football is a religion

7 Likes

Y’know, I thought @gracchus was about to make this point with the start of, “As whackadoodle as their cult is…”

Maybe together, we have made that point.

5 Likes

So many layers of fucked-upedness here, leaving aside the punishment itself. To begin with, they were punishing him for missing practice because of injuries. (I wish this was the first time I’d heard of student athletes being punished for being injured.) They then put him in a position where either he’d be punished or they’d punish his teammates (and have them hate him). Everything about this is fucked up.

15 Likes

True. Some towns along Lake Erie still have working sundown sirens.

4 Likes

This is twice in 24 hours I have heard the sundown sirens are still a thing.

Nevada bans ‘racially discriminatory mascots’ and ‘sundown sirens’ that were once used to tell Native Americans to leave town (yahoo.com)

I remember a few remaining sundown towns in WV when I was growing up, but the last of those finally went out in the '70’s. I had no idea they were still around. Happier in my ignorance.

15 Likes

I read that article too. It got the wife and me discussing where we’d heard them around us.

4 Likes

There is a difference between a religion and a cult.

ETA ok, @bashful may have beat me to that point.

2 Likes

ProPublica did a story on sundown towns in Illinois a couple years ago. I got the feeling some existed (maybe only in spirit) into the 90s and early 2000s.

In the follow up there was a report that Burbank, CA was a sundown town in the late 60s.

9 Likes

Maybe, but maybe not. Canton schools get a lot of unusual football related donations. The NFL was founded in Canton and the hall of fame is there.

I would be curious which towns. I’ve lived on Lake Erie for most of my life and never heard of any. Of the official sundown towns in Ohio, most were in the central and southwest part of the state. The northern part of the state largely used other mechanisms to maintain segregation.

4 Likes