Ohio high school football coach repeatedly called for a play named "Nazi" at game against mostly Jewish team

Originally published at: Ohio high school football coach repeatedly called for a play named "Nazi" at game against mostly Jewish team | Boing Boing

3 Likes

kitty

16 Likes

Ohio high school football coach wanted an excuse for shouting “Nazi” in public.

9 Likes

He did not specify what the slur was

It’s not like there are a lot these idiots have to choose from. Whatever it was, I think we know who they learned it from.

13 Likes

Sorry that he got caught and sorry they were offended, not sorry at all for doing it.

14 Likes

I can’t possibly begin to imagine why anyone would be offended by a little thing like that. Honestly, people these days are so sensitive. /s

4 Likes

I did not see that coming… actually, coming from Ohio (40 years ago) I could def see this coming.
Plot twist! He’s also a local pastor. Runs a summer sleep away camp. Camp Creepmedafkout.

8 Likes

There aren’t a lot, no, but it might not be something you’d guess. “Eastsider,” for example, gets the point across for many west of the Cuyahoga River.

2 Likes

" Late in the game, it was also reported by our team that several Brooklyn players used a racial slur freely throughout the night."

A total coincidence! It was just the thoughtless use of a totally random word for a play, followed completely randomly by a few bad apples expressing themselves inappropriately! No connection at all! Totally not a damning indicator of the casual bigotry of that football team and its coach!
/sssssssssssssss

7 Likes

I’m sure that the coach never said anything like “We’re playing the ■■■■■ from Beachwood next week”.

/s

4 Likes

I don’t understand things like this. I mean, let’s assume he’s rabidly antisemitic. This still doesn’t make any sense. What did expect to accomplish. At best, it ends up as a (poor) private joke that the Jewish team never hears about… but he has to know that if it gets out more broadly than that it’s going to create a scandal that’s likely to blow back and cost him his job. Why would someone risk their job to make a joke that is at best mildly funny to the small number of people who agree with you?

8 Likes

He’s a petty authority figure with a captive audience of young people for his “jokes”. Those types tend to have poor judgment and get complacent.

10 Likes

Yeah, I know. I’m still astounded by just how bad some people’s judgement can be. For nothing this guy is now out of a job, and while (sadly) not completely unemployable in his chosen profession, he definitely has diminished prospects for getting a new one.

8 Likes

At least — and this is a low, low bar, set by the state of recent political discourse — this dingbat coach actually resigned.

5 Likes

Based on the little I know about sports culture, probably a “get inside their heads” move?

Regardless of any why, he’s a damn monster who probably assumed the room would agree with him. Glad to see there are repercussions for him.

4 Likes

It’s all about making sure the “others” know that they need to stay in their place. And asserting the supremacy of whites. Or White Supremacy, you might say. Yes, you might.

8 Likes

This is an excellent point. I won’t give the coach too much credit for thinking in this case (as @gracchus said already, “Those types tend to have poor judgment and get complacent”) but the fact that he was doing this so brazenly makes me wonder what he was telling the players in the locker room.

There are a lot of stories that make me think “The kids are all right” but this reminds me that, while some kids will be all right in spite of role models like coach McFarland adults still need to be responsible and set a good example.

Also, an unsurprising update: the coach’s lawyer is saying “‘Nazi is by no means an antisemitic slur’” because, he claims, it’s used on football fields all over the country. As if that somehow makes it right.

6 Likes

Really? I somehow doubt this is true, really. There are probably very small slices of the country where this might be true. Very small, very red slices. But that’s just a guess.

8 Likes

That lawyer says it was in common use in the 1990s. That was 30 years ago now. All sorts of offensive stuff was used in the past, but isn’t ok to use now.
I don’t believe it was ever very common. He found one reference. Also, if it was common, then it is completely useless as a code word.

That press release is offensive

5 Likes

I’m glad school officials aren’t standing by him (unfortunately I considered the possibility they would, given other cases), and this really was the right response:

Hardis, Beachwood’s superintendent, said the statement from Pattakos [the lawyer] on behalf of McFarland “succeeds in taking a terrible situation and making it worse.”

7 Likes