A history of "Afternoon Delight," the "dirtiest song ever to top the Billboard Hot 100"

#4 in 1976.

4 Likes

That’s just the stuff she recorded… imagine what her live show must have been like!

I’ve always said that if I ever got access to time travel, I wouldn’t use it for shit like killing Hitler or whatever… I would just use it for going to see shows that I was too young to see… Lucille Bogan is on that list…

7 Likes

Almost forgot Peaches… NSFW…

Or Coil… the Anal Staircase…

Ahhhh, the summer of 76. I instantly recognized what the song was about because it was reflecting my immediate experience. In its own cheesy way, of course.

I met my sweetie when we lived in the same dorm for summer school (and my assigned roommate never showed up, oh dear oh dear). We spent the summer learning for the first time the delights of, ahem, fully communing with the body of a member of the opposite sex. We each were taking only a credit or two, so we had a whole lot of time to fill, you see…

Which allowed us to say that the massive fireworks for the bicentennial were indeed unique.

And of course, I view this as an occasion to brag about having been happily married for 43.5 years to that guy.

6 Likes

It’s Mississippi John Hurt, so…yeah. If you don’t know him yet, you’ve got a pleasurable evening of web surfing ahead of you!

2 Likes

Raunchy Canadian band

1 Like

Yes! Love to Love You Baby (oh so close peaking at #2!) was actually the song I was trying to think of when I mentioned I Feel Love. I’ve always been kinda bummed that she wasn’t happy with those early iconic hits because of the image that she felt stuck with that she didn’t care to inhabit.

5 Likes

Physical was #1 for 10 weeks!

We know what this (#1 in '77) is really about:

3 Likes

:musical_note: Physical, physical,
I wanna get a physical,
Let’s get a physical,
Gotta see the body doc
The body doc
:musical_note:

Nothing dirty about that!

8 Likes
2 Likes

#16 in '75:

5 Likes

Loved that album; hated that song!

4 Likes

Heard this song on the radio in Jamaica, and it cracked me right up.

2 Likes

Was it that, or this one?

2 Likes

LOLZ That’s a good one, too, but believe me, it’s not easy to forget hearing a woman sing, “I’m gonna kill ya wid it.” tophat-biggrin

3 Likes

Fairly subtle compared to a radio hit that went:

Come and meet me at my front door
Tonight, tonight
Make me take you on a love tour
Tonight, tonight
Let us tear up this damn floor
Tonight, tonight
I wanna give it to you hardcore
Tonight, tonight
Let me fuck you with my heels on, yeah
Let me ride on your ding dong
I’ve been waiting for you so long
Take me to the swing song
Let’s fuck to a slow song

Channeling Lucille Bogan, there.

1 Like
1 Like

Two surprises here for me: that this hit #6 and that it was as late as 2000. I had it earlier in my head

2 Likes

That’s not so surprising I guess, but my gawd it’s awful (and totes forgettable).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.