A history of "Afternoon Delight," the "dirtiest song ever to top the Billboard Hot 100"

Looks like Crash into Me only made it to #7

2 Likes

My ~12 year old self was often twitterpated by Ms. Tenille. I don’t recall the song, but one involved Ms. Tenille in a Halloween-sexy nurse’s outfit. Mesmerizing.

I’m pretty sure I could find it on the ''tubes, but I’m afraid i might die from excess cringe.

2 Likes

Pre-Billboard

3 Likes

Really folks…

8 Likes

For me this is a Wonder loaf white bread coming of age… How can anyone think of this song as anything other than ‘about’ the expression of love sexually as something that can happen in daylight hours. For me this was a song that was always about loving sex, lifting sexual communion out of the dark and into the every"day".

Afternoon delight, orgasms are not bound by darkness and night. Not dirty and dark.

“Delight” is the only word in the song that shy’s away from the power of a full on orgasm…

Yes sex can be dark but I’m not understanding anything other than a sweet song that was pretty transparent in what it was saying… had a good melody but not a good one to dance to.

2 Likes

Yeah, and here we go . . . That’s some old school “I’m gonna sing what I want” stuff right there. If you like reggae, head on over to almost anything by Spice, though this one is particularly straightforward:

or most things by Lady Saw before she converted to Christianity:

2 Likes

Man, I remember hearing that so much in the car as a kid; I just assumed it had gone higher…

3 Likes

Dangit, this only made it to number 18:

2 Likes

And playing on the radio in the chemist’s when I bought my first condoms.

2 Likes

Kids today think they’ve invented dirty songs.

4 Likes

94e
If this is your idea of “dirty”.

5 Likes

Nice. Pro-safety. Do you have to be 16 to legally buy condoms in the UK?

3 Likes

Dirtier than “Good Girls Don’t”? Dirtier than “Love in an Elevator”?

3 Likes

11 and 5 on the billboard hot 100, respectively.

2 Likes

Oops. My bad: It does say “top”. I wasn’t paying attention…

3 Likes

So I guess it invites the question of what is the dirtiest song to ever get on the Billboard Hot 100 in any spot at all? There seems to be some good candidates in here already.

2 Likes
6 Likes

You have to be 16 to legally consent to having sex, but I don’t think there is any age restriction on buying condoms.

6 Likes

Lyrics aside, that is an absolutely amazing guitar picking song. The sound is so subtle, but incredibly complex.

8 Likes