A history of "Afternoon Delight," the "dirtiest song ever to top the Billboard Hot 100"

4 Likes
3 Likes

I would have said; YMCA, but looks like it only hit #2 on the charts. That’s hard to believe with how ubiquitous is was back then. A coworker got pissed when I explained the song to him. He then went around the office and said, “you know what FSogol thinks?” I guess we were all innocent once. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

10 Likes

No love for “Muskrat Love?”

11 Likes

Muskrat?

I don’t even wanna know.

5 Likes

“I feel love” is burned into my brain from a Blue Man show. The song was blasting while rolls of toilet paper were unrolled over the entire audience.

4 Likes

There is always The Beatles’ “Please Please Me” (though I don’t think it actually hit #1)

Many of their songs are full of innuendo: Am I Right - Dirty Songs You Didn't Know Were Dirty, The Beatles

3 Likes

And some . . . aren’t.

9 Likes

12 Likes

Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

6 Likes

I think Roger Taylor’s I’m In Love With My Car, from '75, was all about double meaning.

With my hand on your grease gun…

No, wait, he really was talking about his car.

Told my girl I’d have to forget her Rather buy me a new carburettor.

And then the song that followed in concert, Get Down Make Love, left nothing to the imagination.

6 Likes
9 Likes

To continue in a Repo Man vein…

Mom and I hated that song and made fun of it whenever it came on the radio, which was far too often for our tastes. Then we’d change the station. 70s pop radio was a maelstrom of misery for intelligent, broad-minded Detroit listeners.

music box dancer
if you leave me now
i’m not in love [at least that one sounded weird]
the carpenters?!
everything is beautiful [someone never quite came down off their last one]
at seventeen

None of the above fuckers saw punk coming. Punk saved my life - and what was left of my sanity! - after a decade of that cocaine-fuelled schmaltz, masturbatory metal, and brainless disco. Horresco referens!

7 Likes

I was trying to decide if that was George Rock from Spike Jones’ City Slickers singing the lead on that, but I can find anything that said he was with them. Anyway, don’t know if any of them made the top 100 or not, but there were a lot of songs like this one by Butterbeans and Susie:

6 Likes

That was one of the great things about the Village People.

They had ridiculously catchy and fun songs that appealed to the squares who didn’t know any better, while at the same time being pretty damn raunchy and subversive if you were hip to all the subtext.

6 Likes

That song came on the radio during a drive on a lonely dirt road, inspiring one of mom’s dearest friends to stop her car, and say to her handsome passenger, “Well? Why don’t we?”

And so they did.

Kathy was obviously pretty much inhibition-free and a lot of fun. Mom loved telling people about hitting parties with her. As soon as everyone would be super high after hours of smoking weed and drinking, she’d pipe up, "Anyone got any psychedelics?!"

8 Likes

OK, if we can expand this to top of the charts in Britain, let’s go with the song that “Top of the Pops” refused to play (video or audio) the entire time it was #1, which just kept it at #1 that much longer, as everyone ran out to buy the album in response:

14 Likes

Whenever people complain about disco or 80s music, I remind them that at least they were having fun.

3 Likes

#1 in 1967:

6 Likes