A home for middle-aged men

+1M points for the Young Ones reference, even more for the Hostess® Fruit Pies, which went straight to my brain as something I’d forgotten about and only ever saw in American comic books.

And now I’ve gone down the rabbit hole:

http://www.tomheroes.com/Comic%20Ads/hostess%20ads/hostess_ads.htm

http://www.tomheroes.com/Comic%20Ads/hostess%20ads/batman_and_catman.htm

(edited for speeeling, danmit!)

8 Likes

Oh, and paging @Papasan: I’m pissing myself right now.

6 Likes

This show is a total classic, so many great bits:

4 Likes

I really wanted to cosplay this at Comicon where we would get a sack of Fruit Pies and run over to people cosplaying Joker and try to get him to stop his crime for a delicious hostess fruit pie.

Man, I really need to do this.

I jgiggle at the idea that they go so far as to use the Young Ones like this.

10 Likes

9 Likes

Alec is 59 now.

6 Likes

Especially the large pile that I no longer fit into…but might again some day!

2 Likes

Perfect! Soylent time!

1 Like

The Rise Of The Dad Bod And Accompanied Waist Size!

5 Likes

I had an experience once, but now I’ve forgotten.

8 Likes

Tinkering on the kitchen table, it is the Northern European equivalent of whittling on the stoop. A practice reserved for the Middle-aged Chap who is unfortunate enough to have reached his majority without accumulating a garden shed.

@LurkingGrue That’s some serious maximum mutant behaviour. I applaud your application to the task.

@PPK, Hostess® Fruit Pies tasted fine; but Sea Monkies™ tasted weird.

@FGD135 “Old age ain’t no place for sissies”? Some may beg to differ, my dear. :wink:

8 Likes

Sea Monkeys? Oh wow, another rabbit hole… used to have a tankful of 'em on my kitchen windowsill!

3 Likes

Dark, vicious and funny. Pure distilled Iannuci.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Nobody I’ve shown this to thinks it is as funny as I do.

2 Likes

It’s funny, it sounds a bit like it was paced to include a laugh track, but then they didn’t add the laughter.

Actually, the date 2001 was right around the twilight period of canned laughter, so that could make sense.

Canned laughter? Iannuci? He doesn’t do overt laughter - you feel the laughter inside, just before the dread… A master of the art of satire.

3 Likes

1 Like

Well they are probably all bots.

1 Like

What you haven’t done now, you’ll never get done.

Alack…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.