A home for middle-aged men

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/19/a-home-for-middle-aged-men.html

7 Likes

Well, it is either this or middle management.

27 Likes

24 Likes

I will take pissing myself over middle management.

33 Likes

Oh this is dark.

16 Likes

Being well past that age, I found it hilarious. :joy:

13 Likes

Oh my God… tears forming - it’s beautiful. Finally a place I would fit in. It’s like Neverneverland. Or Narnia. Take me! I’m right here! Take me!!!

15 Likes

I don’t know, it’s not so bad. I now have the time to keep up with things…

…oh god, what has happened to me?

26 Likes

Clever send-up both of the over-the-hill sexism towards women and the general disparagement of the elderly.

Mind you, I know I’m not so agile of mind (and let’s not even talk about body) as my decades younger colleagues. That’s why I’ve spent the years accumulating experience.

13 Likes

You have become one of the happiest of mutants.

36 Likes

Treachery is more rewarding isn’t it.

13 Likes

An alien named Jerry. :wink:

3 Likes

Hey! One of those men was tinkering with something on a table! That’s what I did yesterday!

I gotta go pull the blinds so they don’t find me…

9 Likes

Hell, if it will give me more time to write, sign me up!

1 Like

Crap, I’m too old.

2 Likes

I hope that they have a place for all of my cargo shorts.

10 Likes

You want bad? Back in 1980-1983 my 12 year old self and a close friend made our own magazines. Lots of comics of things like Wonder Woman and Kiss and lots of actual copy paste from Mad, Cracked and Dynamite. It is a collection of a lot of things we were passionate about. We only made one copy of each and I ended up with the lot of 31 in a box. My roomate said “This is got to be the smallest APA ever”

I recently realized our large format epson printer scanner had a sheet feeder so I decided to start scanning them and sent them a few at a time at my friend (We now live on opposite sides of the country) and we were critiquing them. In them we were talking to a mythical reader who wasn’t us. I pointed out that the audience was us at 50. As I got closer to scanning the rest of them I realized I contributed less and less near the end. So I decided to sit down and make some new issues. I spent a week and parodies our younger selves and threw a lot of Photoshop work into it. It was so much work. I called it the “Special midlife crisis” issue and just left it in with the rest of them and sent my friend the text that I finally got them all up there “It appears I contributed more near the end but man I just have no memory of that stuff.”

I got back over text this morning:

Capture

So as an old person I just spent a week of really intense Photoshop work to parody my 13 year old self from the stand point of my 50 year old self with lots of mixed anachronistic references to spring a joke on one person.

Being old is a lot weirder than I expected.

So this is how a mutant nerd handles a midlife crisis.

30 Likes

You’ve got a mighty lucky friend!

8 Likes
5 Likes

Ouch. That was just too … accurate.

5 Likes