A Jewish lawmaker, one of Wyoming's few elected Democrats, convinces a Republican supermajority to reject a ban on Critical Race Theory

Originally published at: A Jewish lawmaker, one of Wyoming's few elected Democrats, convinces a Republican supermajority to reject a ban on Critical Race Theory | Boing Boing

30 Likes

More of this please.

Although im sure the bill will be back with slightly-tweaked language that will be sure to pass.

49 Likes

Umm Wyoming and Utah are not interchangeable…

6 Likes

He’s taken them to shule!

28 Likes

Thank you.

10 Likes

So glad that reason prevailed here, but it’s still so bananas that the “FUCK YOUR FEELINGS” crowd is responsible for so much legislation that boils down to “this makes me uncomfortable.”

64 Likes

“Those who cannot confess their own sins must project them onto others.” - I forget who, but it resonates.

27 Likes

46 Likes

That had to be a powerful speech to sway such a crowd. Good for him and good for all the people of the state because all will benefit from it whether they like it or not.

26 Likes

I think it’s the 11th commandment of the right wing these days

4 Likes

“But in learning about the Holocaust, I have suffered a lifetime of discomfort and distress, and it’s essential that as students learn about this dark time in our history, they to feel discomfort in distress.”

tbh, I dont see how this argument was persuasive to the white Christian Republicans.

usually, they only respond to issues unless they personally/directly have been affected. (eg, Cheney was only anti-anti-gay because of his daughter.)

isn’t their response supposed to be, sure, we’re sensitive to the Holocaust-- but this is CRT we’re talking about, CRT is evil and demonizes whites.

For a Republican? That practically strutting in a pride parade, gagged on a leash in bdsm bondage attire.

5 Likes

Was he? I mean…really…was he? I would put him way more in the “and then they came for the gays, and I said nothing, because I wasn’t gay and frankly my gay daughter was a little bit of a political liability, so best to keep quiet about that” camp.

7 Likes

“… then they came for the oil companies and the defense contractors, and there was no one left to speak up.”

11 Likes

Let’s see the names of the reps who STILL voted ‘yes’ for the bill.

It got A MAJORITY of ‘yes’ votes, after all, just not enough for a SuperMajority - and that’s gross, imo.
From the linked JTA article:

The bill garnered a majority of the chamber’s votes, 35, but not the two-thirds needed to advance the bill. The 24 lawmakers who voted against advancing the bill included a significant number of the chamber’s 51 Republicans.

14 Likes

Y’see, this is why we need representation of all areas of society at all levels of society.

13 Likes

This. Bush’s brain, Karl Rove, helped engineer state amendments to use homophobia as a wedge issue to help bring out the haters in 2004 to re-elect Bush. Cheney was known, initially, to have an outsized influence on Bush compared to other VPs. Cheney only grumble-sneared half-hearted approval of his own daughter’s life choices, but never used his elected office to do anything to help anyone else.
ETA: and I wonder if he would have shown any support to the few Republicans who have dared to not enshrine TFG, if one wasn’t his daughter.

7 Likes

It wasnt that long ago conservatives in the USA were warning about the dangers of “moral relativism.”

3 Likes

It seems like the goal of these laws is to prevent any kind of self-reflection. These guys are immune to shame or irony.
They claim to be Christian, but the message of Matthew 7:1-5 appears to be lost on them.
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

12 Likes

tenor-2

15 Likes
17 Likes