A list of the most deadly calorie bombs for sale at America's chain restaurants

I’d be very curious to see the menu for the CSPI’s annual dinner if they have one and for any cafeteria or canteen if they run their own building.

Bet neither features rice cakes and bean broth. ;

Nobody orders stuff like this y accident and dang few eat like this regularly and those who do need professional help as that’s clearly an eating disorder which can be done on rice and fish heads (although you;d have to work harder).

As an occasional splurge, nothing wrong with this stuff. Extremes in either direction are not healthy.

2 Likes

Squad? :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Related: Competitive eater Matt “Megatoad” Stonie took on a new challenge when he ate 203 (13lbs) Chips Ahoy! Chocolate Chip Cookies in approximately 27 minutes. 12,800 calories, not counting the milk.

1 Like

Agreed in concept, though I must confess I didn’t realize the degree to which said stuff could be bad for one.

And, a little formal corporate shaming (a la this list) will probably help the world along in the right direction, sending the message that this stuff is still worth caring about, and fastfood restaurants haven’t found high-tech ways to make formerly bad things good.

2 Likes

Big Wonderful Woman?

1 Like

which Cheesecake Factory changed on their menu to “… for tomorrow you WILL die. Please be sure to pay beforehand.”

2 Likes

That’s a great point. The occasional treat isn’t a bad thing - it just becomes a problem when taken to excess.

Still, one of my biggest problems is when something looks small but is packed with calories. It’s easy for me to fall into the “I have plenty of room for this” trap. That saag paneer roti referenced above sounds delicious, but I’d be in trouble if I had something like that every day, unless my activity level was sufficient to burn up the calorie load.

That’s where being an informed consumer comes into play. I fully support requirements for basic nutritional info being available, either on the menu itself or if asked about and certainly on a place’s website.

Too many people shut off their mind or indeed never actually use it and then expect Momma Government to save them from themselves.

1 Like

I don’t know… Chilis? I mean, can you find good American-style BBQ in Germany? Like a place like Jim and Nicks (a great regional chain here in the states) which has their own smoke house, makes their own sides and sauces from scratch? Because, the only other way to eat American BBQ is to find some little hole in the wall place off an highway somewhere that’s been there for like 100 years. Not Chilis in other words…

5 Likes

IKNORITE?!? I feel like they could have made it an even 5k.

1 Like

Still - almost every one of those menu items has more salt than you should consume in 3 days. Add in the fact that most of them are prepared with modified corn and soy products, and you’ve got part of the reason that many Americans are obese and unwell.

4 Likes

My wife and I have taken to splitting a meal when we eat out. Provides both a cost savings and appropriate level of calories for two, especially if there’s a dessert we want to split as well. Even if we split some of these meals, they would still account for 50-70% of our daily calorie count, without even accounting for the fat and salt!

Looking at the photos and descriptions, maybe 3 out of the 10 even look like something I’d want to eat/drink, calories be damned. I guess they appeal to enough people to make it on the menus?

4 Likes

It’s a bargain if you think of it as two or three meals.

Or if you’re hiking the Appalachian Trail, half a meal.

1 Like

This is a great idea. The average size of meals for most chain restaurants are insane.

3 Likes

Assuming this is sodium chloride, aka salt:
“The estimated fatal dose of sodium chloride is approximately 0.75 to 3.00 g/kg.” (1) So let’s say, 2 g/kg.
If Dr Hackenbush would eat 4,700 g of salt, his body mass would have to be larger than 2,350 kg in order to have any chance of survival.
Assuming Dr Hackenbush weighs in at 80 kg, has normal blood pressure, is generally healthy and male, anything above 100 g is critical and anything above 160 g probably lethal.
“The oral ingestion of larger quantities of sodium chloride, eg 1000 g in 600 mL of water, is harmful and can induce irritation of the gastrointestinal tract, vomiting, hypernatremia, respiratory distress, convulsions, and death.”

(1) One source states that lethal levels start at 8.2 g/kg.

However, “The safe and adequate intake for adults is reported as 1,875 to 5,625 mg.”, so at 4,700 mg, that snack is probably the only thing containing any salt that you should eat that day.

Source:
https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+6368

:nauseated_face:

Obligatory:

5 Likes

My diet over the past month has only had the limitation of not eating ice cream, and even that was enough that I can fit into about 50% more of my clothes again.

I cook a fair amount, and confess that I am rather naive as to how many calories are in the foods I make. Like that exquisitely creamy lamb korma I made yesterday. At least I try to use good ingredients, and try to limit myself to only one really rich food maximum per day.

Incidentally, one of my biggest peeves is referring to food as high/low calorie. Calories are either units (more/fewer) or relative totals (greater/lesser) - but they are not places. A piece of food does not actually become higher or lower on your plate in relation to how many calories there are, like a tall stack or pile of calories.

Definitely needs that trailing questioning note that Griffin makes. You nailed it.

I’ve been following a diet/fitness regimen that’s part of Nerd Fitness that’s based partially on limited fasting and partially on calorie reduction with a whole lot of daily exercise thrown in. Basically you limit yourself to an 8 hr window of food and fast outside of the window. So noon until 8pm, you eat, but stay away from breakfast and late night snacks. And in that window, stick to lots of veggies, lean meats, and stay away from sugar. Foods low in calories without eating “diet” foods. So far I’ve been losing 3-4 pounds per week and I’ve only been doing it for a month.

1 Like