A majority of Americans wouldn't rush to get a Covid-19 vaccination, poll finds

If it were FREE, I would trust it a lot more. But being immuno-suppressed I will accept the risk. That is, if it’s not contraindicated.

2 Likes

I’m getting one as soon as I possibly can.

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be dated April 1st instead of April 9th?

1 Like

I’m not going to base my decision on what the administration says about the safety and efficacy of the vaccine. I’m going to base my decision on what the actual medical experts say about the safety an efficacy of the vaccine.

3 Likes

My experience with small restaurants say almost exactly the opposite. There is a strong incentive to keep things quiet and restaurant patrons are generally content with an appearance of cleanliness. Pretty famously Mary Mallon managed to find work in a hospital kitchen even after a legal prohibition.

1 Like

Put it this way, I’ll take the vaccine the day after Health Canada says it is safe to do so.

10 Likes

“…cranking out doses at scale before the testing is complete.”

Which, if testing succeeds, is exactly what you would want. “Oh yeah, it’s great, it works perfectly, you can have it in…two months”. This is 100% a profit-oriented gamble, like venture capital: if they succeed, the amount of money they sank into it will be peanuts compared to the profit, and they can afford it if tests fail. As far as I know, this is how drug development works, period.

My thoughts precisely.

4 Likes

At that point I will happily be in line behind you.

3 Likes

you are talking about normal times. none of this is normal and the old experiences are no more.

Well, considering the restaurants are filling up without a vaccine, I fail to see why people would start requiring one in the future. When was the last time you checked up on your waitstaff’s MMR?

1 Like

Can I just point out, there is no vaccine coming in the next year.

I have no idea where Dr. Fauchi got that information, but no immunology scientists I read think anything less than 3 years and that is just a bit better than the miracle needed for anything less than that.

The current record for vaccine development was 12 years, and that was the flu vaccine.

While I know it’s not usual to ask for credentials or sourcing on the BBS, if you’re going to make that claim, it would be helpful to know why you think that’s the case. Here’s a link to a RAPS page that has a vaccine tracker. While it will definitely take a smooth process to see rollout to front line workers by this fall and the general public by the spring, the trials for several vaccine candidates are on track for that schedule:

https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-vaccine-tracker

It’s “Fauci.” I’ve heard the opposite from vaccine researchers.

Where are you getting that nonsense? Average vaccine development is 10 years, fastest was Ebola, which took 5 years.

5 Likes

i give up.

You ask for my references for my assertions, but do not provide any of your own aside from the vaccine landscape document, which in no way supports the 1 year time frame.

I’ll take any reference you have that is not from a company or university seeking funding.

In the meantime, my quick look for the few folks I trust’s writing on this does not turn up anything quickly, if I run across any i’ll post them.

Honestly, if you want to think/hope a vaccine is coming in year, have at it, it neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my back.

I hope one does too, but it is not.

Also: There isn’t even an approved ebola vaccine as far as I know, do you have something other than the emergency use approved trial vaccines in development? Did one get approved?

Dr. Seema Yasmin is excellent on vaccine development:

Dr. Adalia:

This is excellent to see typical time (20 years) and how to shave time off of that:

Approved last year.

2 Likes

3 Likes

As soon as the FDA approves the vaccine, I want it. I do not want to get COVID-19. I am doing everything in my power to avoid it. I am avoiding food from restaurants even if it is take out because I am afraid of getting it from a worker through the food. I do everything i can to avoid any contact i possibly can. I will be very eager to get this vaccine as soon as it is ready.

So according to this poll the US will be “thinning the herd” before we achieve herd immunity. Is that a bad thing?
I just fell sorry for the Anti-Vaxxers children: All that lost potential.