A man in India with 39 wives and 94 children who all lived in one house has died

Originally published at: A man in India with 39 wives and 94 children who all lived in one house has died | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I don’t even want to imagine the line for the bathroom in the morning…

17 Likes

What happened was that he thought it was a great idea to keep leaving the toilet seat up

2 Likes

Xenophobes: “Well what do you expect with those barbaric Muslims and/or Hindus!”

Xenophobes: “Ah… well he was brown though, right?”

28 Likes

Nobody is smiling in the photo, could the fact that they all have to use the one & only bathroom have something to do with it…

6 Likes

And to think of all the international spin-offs of The Office…

1 Like

This gave me a, “but wait, there’s more” moment (emphasis mine):

With a total of 167 members, the family is the world’s largest, according to local media, although this depends on whether you count the grandchildren, of whom Ziona has 33.

Somewhere out there, other families might be complaining about a miscount. :astonished:

12 Likes

Obligatory:

14 Likes

I don’t know how to feel about this. If the women weren’t coerced, is that OK? But the fact that it was a man with many wives instead of a woman with many husbands smacks of historical paternalism so that seems problematic. But for sake of argument, had it been a woman with 39 husbands, what are the ethics of this arrangement? At first I was going to say “the children didn’t have a say in being born into these unusual circumstances”, but if we were living on a generational starship taking 300 years to travel to Proxima Centauri, would we have a problem with having children even though they would be born into very unusual circumstances? I’m not trying to be facetious or sarcastic or anything here, genuinely curious if the Boing Boing brain trust has some interesting thoughts about the ethics of this situation. ??

1 Like

But… did he ever make it to St Ives?

12 Likes

I don’t see how he could have avoided it, at least while at home.

3 Likes

I’m afraid that all sounds like just too much hard work to me.

3 Likes

I assume he died of exhaustion.

3 Likes

Seriously. Does he ever accidentally re-marry certain women because he doesn’t recognize them from the first time?

4 Likes

Double bigamy!

(Is four times the trouble, if you ask me.)

1 Like

No, no…THIS is the obligatory response!

9 Likes

population

32 wives ago.

3 Likes

If I were him, I wouldn’t even have been able to remember everyone’s name…

1 Like

I wonder how much time passed before they happened to run across him in the house.

1 Like