A much better kitchen sink strainer

Originally published at: A much better kitchen sink strainer | Boing Boing

Oh those are terrible. It’ll break in a week. I bought one by mistake when our diswasher was on the fritz, it looked great but was falling apart after a week of light use. Total junk.

1 Like

We had one for a while. The problem we had is that when open and just sitting there, they form a short dam and hold back a thin layer of water at the bottom of the sink.

Had to replace it.

2 Likes

I use one of these. Works great and fits properly in my garbage disposal. Amazon.com

Have had one of those in the sink for over three years and it works great

2 Likes

Another vote for the OXO strainer. Had one for a couple of years and it worked great. Easier to clean than the ones that came with the sink. We moved and left it with the old house and I keep meaning to go get a replacement.

2 Likes

Yeah, nothing but positive experiences with this. We compost and have a garbage disposal. Super easy way to collect organic bits that would otherwise go down the drain. Gets a little slimy, but cleans in a few seconds. Had it for just under a year with almost no signs of wear.

2 Likes

Another satisfied user (so far). My only beef is that it doesn’t double as a drain plug like the metal one that came with the sink, so if you want to fill the sink you’ve got to pull it out completely and then there’s something ugly sitting on the counter.

3 Likes

But there is no way to plug the drain.
For me an ideal strainer would be plugged when not in use so no odor or creepy crawlies could come up from the drain and then once a few teaspoons of liquid have weighed down some super sensitive lid, it depresses allowing the liquid to drain and then returns to plug mode.
Feel free to take this million dollar idea and run with it. Just send me one of the final product!

I’ve been using a Danco Disposal Genie for a while now, and I like it. It’s rugged, and it keeps my flatware out of the disposal. I generally scrape my dishes directly into the trash, as I don’t compost (no backyard). Only downside is that it doesn’t stop the drain if I want to wash dishes. But in looking it up, I’ve just learned that there’s a better version that does act as a stopper, and given my experience with the original, I’m sold.

Generally, I find silicone versions of kitchen equipment to not be as great as the people who hawk it as some kind of miracle material want you to think. It’s good for baking mats. Not much else, IMO.

1 Like

Odd, ours was a plug. You just pull up the handle until the silicone flexed an popped, and it sealed right up.

I have a couple of these; there’s positives and negatives to them.

Pros: they work quite well as strainers for normal drains. They are top rack dishwasher safe so when they get dirty, it’s easy to clean them.

Neutral: they do allow a bit of water to puddle around them as noted by others. They also have a tendency to get bits stuck in the holes and the underside can get slimy over time.

Cons: the first one I had lasted for a while, but the center post on it broke loose leaving a large center hole. I use that one for the disposal side of the sink now.

I have (what I think is) a slightly upgraded model from the same brand, which features a “twist the knob thingy in the center to stop the drain” mechanism.

I’ve had this oxo silicon model for about 4 years now, maybe the newer ones are a bit different, but the holes on mine are small enough that you get a couple scraps of food in the bottom of it while rinsing off dishes that the sink quits draining. I still like the older metal style ones a bit more, but my apartment didn’t come with one in my sink and its not a big enough deal for me to toss it and buy one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.