Good, inexpensive silicone kitchen sink strainer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/24/good-inexpensive-silicone-kit.html

6 Likes

The metal bit of mine fell off about a year ago.

That’s been about it.

5 Likes

I don’t understand the utility of a sink strainer. If I get food bits on the non-disposer side, I just run some water and mash the food bits with a spoon and they’re gone in seconds. With the strainer, I’ve got to reach down into the sink and grab this thing and dump it and put it back. And eventually the darned thing gets slimy and kind of stinky, and I don’t want to touch it up anymore.

I suppose if you’ve got a septic system, you’d want to macerate the food bits first. Huh.

Btw, this is such a nicer, more gentler subject than current political events.

1 Like

Stick it in the dishwasher every few days and there goes the slime mold buildup.

As for the utility of the strainer, I’m not sure how you manage to not clog up your drain on a regular basis. The issue isn’t clogging the top but rather the trap under the sink.

4 Likes

Not everyone has a disposal. I use this same strainer and it’s very useful. Though it doesn’t allow the drain to be closed, it does trap food when pre-rinsing dishes that are going in to the dishwasher. My other favorite device; the Simple Human inside-the-sink sponge holder;

2 Likes

After doing enough plumbing, usually at times of day or night that aren’t pleasant, food down a drain just isn’t great for pipes you care about. Plus for compostable items, that’s free garden food.

Source: replaced three kitchen sinks (and traps, and wall connections), two toilets, reran PVC sewage mains, dug up two sewer lines, augered waaay too many drains, and solder copper like noones business.

7 Likes

“To clean the collect food debris, just pop the cup inside out in the trash.”

Is there no composting in environmentally conscious Cali? Landfills are not a good place to dump food. Google for “carrot landfill” and marvel at how well a ten year old carrot was preserved in a landfill.

1 Like

Our house is from 1923, we don’t have a disposal. I’ve considered putting one in but space under the sink is limited.

If you’ve salted food or done other various things to it it shouldn’t be going into the compost.

1 Like

Strain the swamp!

14 Likes

Nah, you aren’t going to compost enough salty foods to make a difference.

4 Likes

No meat, no salt, no detergents…

And for the last time @SteampunkBanana, no people!

6 Likes

Sounds like a feature to me. The strainers in my sink work on this system where if you turn them then the rectangular pin that props them up falls into the slot allowing them to drop down and block the drain. It’s an elegant system if not for the fact that running water down the drain has a tendency to cause the strainer to spin and fall all the way into the drain by itself.

I think a few salted leftover veggies aren’t going to make a big difference in compost - I imagine the concentration would be extremely low, and whatever salt was in there would probably leach out with the moisture.

2 Likes

You are right. A little salt isn’t a problem.

1 Like

I’ve been doing it wrong. Be right back.

1 Like

But people aren’t meat, what’s the big deal!?

2 Likes

Oh, but people are apparently some kind of big deal though!

3 Likes

So I need to rearrange the freezer too, is that what you’re saying?

1 Like

@japhroaig @SteampunkBanana
(Sorry for butting-in, I just couldn’t resist.)

2 Likes