A parrot steals a GoPro, and then gives us this gorgeous footage of New Zealand's remote Fiordland

Originally published at: A parrot steals a GoPro, and then gives us this gorgeous footage of New Zealand's remote Fiordland | Boing Boing

21 Likes
23 Likes

Parrots; the goats of the air.

9 Likes

i-Kea?

7 Likes

oh my god bird! horizontal or vertical. pick one!

( also, i feel like i now know what being eaten alive by a pterodactyl would look like )

17 Likes

Christ, what cloaca!

12 Likes

That parrot’s pretty fly.

3 Likes

I want to go to there.

4 Likes

I wonder if New Zealand has the same “nonhuman photographer” exemption the USA has about copyright. Because that was beautiful, particularly the in-flight portion, and I would support buying the kea their very own cameras from any Youtube revenue.

edit: NZ, not AUS

6 Likes

FSST! No talent humans. Parrots got vision. Owls got moves.

4 Likes

Ok, even the urban dictionary is failing me. What does FSST stand for?

2 Likes

That parrot was tagged it looks like. I don’t know how this changes this story, but it was a thing I noticed.

5 Likes

Fiordland

Good name for a band.

2 Likes

I’m amazed they found it–seems like that bird took it quite a long ways away. Is it just me, though, or is there a slight edit in there at one point? Maybe they spent a couple hours trying to track it down.

2 Likes

eek. fixed. thanks.

4 Likes

Is this the dawn of a new era of found footage horror films? I hope so.

I was half expecting there to be a shadowy, ominous figure lurking in the background wearing an elaborate headdress of parrot beaks.

1 Like

It seems that the “thief” is eating something that comes off from the camera. So I guess the YouTuber staged the theft by applying something edible over the camera. The parrot got fed so I guess it’s a good type of staging.

3 Likes

The New Zealand Green is famous for pinin’ for the Fiordlands, 'e is.

6 Likes

As the description explains these birds are famous for grabbing human items and ripping them apart. The part in the bird’s beak looked like a chunk of the plastic housing on the camera more than anything a bird would normally eat.

10 Likes

Remarkable bird, the Kea. Beautiful plumage.

6 Likes