Watch a man learn the meaning of "kleptoparasitism" (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/13/watch-a-man-learn-the-meaning-of-kleptoparasitism-video.html

5 Likes

21 Likes

I was at the Hermitage (or some such museum) in st petersburg at the top of a pretty good sized staircase eating a couple of hand pie type thingies. At the bottom was a stray dog sitting still. I only glanced in the other direction and it was gone out of my hand. Astounding quickness and stealth. Might have lost my lunch but gained respect.

10 Likes

Why was he filming himself eating a sandwich?

15 Likes

The clicks must flow.

That said, this was nicely staged, and I like his dejected look at the end.

13 Likes

And he was smart enough to wear eye protection.

3 Likes

Is ChatGPT itself not a form of kleptoparasitism?

25 Likes

When we would eat lunch on the deck of a ski lodge at Banff, the grey jays (aka Canada jays, whisky jacks, and “those f**king birds”) would steal food off our plates on the fly.

15 Likes

Hey man, whiskeyjacks are awesome.

3 Likes

Kurwa is a fairly common swear in Polish. More fun IMO is Xolera, which I heard a lot when worked on the Polish fishing fleet and IIRC roughly translates as Cholera - something worth swearing about.

2 Likes

So he can post a video of a bird stealing it. :person_shrugging:

I noticed that he held it outward sometimes, as if indicating that it’ll be that much easier to steal.

I suppose the video nonetheless serves as a good reminder/PSA.

4 Likes

If you have a 5" talon that can puncture a human, you can get away with being a little less sneaky about it.

11 Likes

Huh, that’s some kind of bird of prey! Unexpected, though eagles are known to steal people’s fish.

10 Likes

You gotta pay the protection money when you go to the park. Spread out a little something for the boids. But not so close that they fly overhead.

10 Likes

At McMurdo Station, Antarctica, the skuas will dive-bomb any plate of food being carried out of the galley. Fries are an especial favorite. They are easily confused by blonde hair so some folks have to be careful about wearing a hat. Once they stole an entire trash bag full of crab leg shells before it could be tossed in the (covered and chained) trash.

9 Likes

Kurva is actually Russian. It means “wh0re”. Russia has occupied most east European countries at some point so every language has the word now. First thing I learned in Hungarian was “kurva anjad”, or “wh0re mother”.

What requires chains in Antarctica? Or is the cover light enough for the wind to grab it?

1 Like

FAKE NEWS!!

NOT a SEAGULL. Seagulls don’t have talons, they would grab with their beaks.

Pause or freeze-frame it. Its a trained hawk. Its a set-up.

The Seagull Anti-Defamation League has lodged a protest.

16 Likes

Seems a lot of bother to go to as well if it is a trained hawk. Another 30 seconds and a seagull would have had it anyway.

3 Likes

It is indeed “cholera”-- my grandmother said it a lot. Common across the Slavic world I guess.

I’m curious if Poles still say “psia krew”, meaning “dog’s blood”, which I think is more archaic/old-fashioned.

1 Like