A Question for the Male Regulars

I try, I try :wink:

3 Likes

The last few actual dates I was on were utter disasters, and affirmed my belief that thereā€™s a lot of loonies out there who donā€™t appear to be loonies on the surface, but oh boy, are they odd. Iā€™ve been ā€œghostedā€ several times and itā€™s no fun at all. But Iā€™ve never known a woman to just vanish on a guy; itā€™s always guys who just stop calling, assuming that taking the passive-aggressive approach is perfectly OK somehow.

8 Likes

Itā€™s a lottery unfortunately.

EDIT

Is ghosting by women that rare? It definitely happened to me before.

9 Likes

I am aware.

Thatā€™s what makes it all the more insulting; Iā€™d even prefer a passive aggressive post-it to the repeated ā€˜Houdiniā€™ impersonationsā€¦

15 Likes

Got it, in that case then these jackwagons are goddamned cowards who donā€™t know what the hell they want and expected a quick messing about while theyā€™re considering getting that sports car and when they realized that you might, not even definitely, mind you, just might, want something in any kind of long-term relationship, well, ā€œI donā€™t know if Iā€™m ready for that! Iā€™m too set in my ways!ā€

Seriously, Iā€™m 42 and all the guys my age that are unmarried are cowards who are reluctant to give up their Saturday night poker game instead of just talking it over like a real person and telling their dates that they have other things they like to do in their spare time. Because Iā€™m assuming you have similar things that you like to do but they donā€™t quite realize it.

Even worse would be when they realize that your other things might possibly take priority over them and they just canā€™t handle it.

Goddamned cowards. Youā€™re better off without them. You deserve someone who looks at you like you are magic when you tell them about your spare time hobbies that you donā€™t need them around for because they would be able to keep doing their things as well.

18 Likes

I have, soā€¦ yay? More on topic, though,

This.

14 Likes

I got nothing, but people weird me out IRL, so Iā€™m gonna go with the ā€œheā€™s a dickheadā€ option.

12 Likes

Iā€™m going with the ā€˜ghostingā€™ idea. I was guilty of this years ago until a woman Iā€™d been dating rode me the riot act for 1) not calling, 2) not writing, 3) not doing anything following our third(?), fourth(?) date. It was early in college and we ran into one another in a grocery store parking lotā€“holy hell did she give me grief. Whacked me with her purse and didnā€™t stop until I essentially sat on my heels and covered my head. It was an unpleasant lesson and an unpleasant way to learn it.

Since that point, it was clearly a lot easier on everyone involved to be open about whatā€™s going on in my headā€“if I donā€™t feel a romantic connection, but I do feel a platonic connection, then ā€œletā€™s be friendsā€ has gained me some great friends. Without either of those connections, ā€œI donā€™t think itā€™s going to work outā€ is the easiest and quickest way forward. Leaving people in limbo and using the easiest and most common methods of communication as a shield is just prolonging everyoneā€™s misery. And when weā€™re still seeing someone else, leaving that statement unmade for too long can result in bad enough things of its own accord.

Cut these losers away. The Real Deal HolyField is out there somewhere.

16 Likes

I know.

Sorry; it sucks when people donā€™t have the integrity to keep it 100 with youā€¦ or themselves.

It seems like Iā€™m becoming less of a fan, with each passing year.

15 Likes

There is also this song.

I think both men and women use this as a cowardā€™s way out. Some people canā€™t deal with the discomfort of any kind of breakup. But I think there is a sub group of guys who view dating as a game who do it more callously and deliberately, like a tactic.

The one time I was classically cut off like this it was by a woman but Iā€™ve had guys semi-avoid me too. But Iā€™ve also had relatively few partners plus all the extra complicated dynamics of a poly situation. One guy was actually diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder so I took that into account dealing with him.

Iā€™ve never done it. I had a long distance partner where we gradually stopped contacting each other. But I think he still talks to my primary partner once in a blue moon and Iā€™d probably give him a heads up if I visited his city.

Edit: fixed link that I messed while trying to post from phone.

18 Likes

At least you actually learned the lesson.

The cord is already cut; once someone shows me that they donā€™t even have any basic consideration for me, itā€™s a wrap.

I just wanted to hear some insight as to why some people seem to think this shit is okay.

The answers Iā€™ve gotten make sense, even if the reality of the sitch sucks.

Meh. I think I give up.

12 Likes

Males and females alike do similar things. Usually, people I know occupy either extreme from indifference to stalking, with little happy medium. I suppose because people are lazy, yet easily fixated.

Something that happens with me which probably seems similar is that I have pretty much no sense of the passage of time. I can just walk up to a person and resume an interrupted conversation we were having a year ago. Or alternately be amazed that it was three whole weeks ago that they emailed me when it feels like it just happened. But it seems to me that this doesnā€™t happen with most people.

Another freakish and annoying thing I do is try to avoid dating at all. My egalitarian method is to not make some relationships with people any more or less intimate than others. I try to be maximally open, while avoiding feelings of attachment, with varying degrees of success.

5 Likes

Pops, stop.

Sorry, but I didnā€™t even bother to read your comment; simply because youā€™ve already repeatedly demonstrated youā€™re not operating on the same plane of perception/reality as I am.

6 Likes

I wouldnā€™t break off contact with anybody if they did or said something stupid. Stupid is easy to forgive. But itā€™s possible you said or did something (or are something) that makes him ashamed. Shame will stop communication dead, and you probably canā€™t fix it. (Unless youā€™re also his therapist, in which case youā€™re definitely the problem.)

Either that or he got locked up.

3 Likes

Oh good! Thatā€™s usually when the right person comes along.

12 Likes

Nothing wrong with that.

Waste no more time on them, I assure you, if they ever give you a second thought it will be with regret over their own jerkitude, none for what distress they may cause you personally.

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that you did something that pushed them away:
1.- Good, if youā€™ve just been yourself then good on you. Keep doing that.
2.- Even if they felt something wasnā€™t working, then its still on them to bow out gracefully.

The only possible fair question here is how can identify these people sooner?
You canā€™t, they have a lot of practice and they hide it really well.

Iā€™m sorry you met such rude jerks, waste no more energy on them.

10 Likes

I wonā€™t overshare here, but the only thing I ā€œdidā€ was something that he thanked me profusely forā€¦ so I donā€™t think thatā€™s it.

As of last night, he was still posting to FB, so I think you may be 0 for 2.

With what, exactly?

I guess thatā€™s what Iā€™m really trying to figure out here; how to avoid such people going forward.

7 Likes

With having perceptions and experiences different than yours, or even different than the norm, assuming the two are significantly different.

I canā€™t speak for all men, because I have never even been tempted to do what youā€™re describing in this topic. There is a surprisingly long list of things I never wanted to do or never much cared for. Iā€™m not really the best judge of what is normal and what isnā€™t, and Iā€™m largely thankful for that, because trying to be normal has mostly caused me pain.

1 Like

By the way, thanks for not calling this A Question for the Regular Males. I bet youā€™re getting a lot more comments than a thread like that would.

14 Likes