A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/825483341965180928

https://twitter.com/feministabulous/status/825483445191188480

16 Likes
5 Likes

The protest at Portland airport disrupted light rail traffic for a time, but of course isn’t as huge as JFK.

Excerpt of the letter I just sent to The Oregonian::

Trump’s agenda was designed to appeal to the sort of people who attended his campaign rallies; a self-selected group the fearful, ignorant, and intolerant. The President, deluded by his own ego and the Machiavellian consul of his white supremacist strategist Stephen Bannon, does not realize that every extremist order he signs will further alienate the majority of Americans who did not vote for him, and further will mobilize the even great number of our people who still believe in decency, charity, compassion and justice. Fulfilling this campaign promise will doom any claim he has on a popular mandate.

Give him hell.

21 Likes

(Kinda late notice at this hour, but maybe they or ACLU National will be good for more information as this goes on.)

11 Likes

18 Likes

Not really about Resistance, but related to recent events, and a nice story:

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/nkingofdc/status/825489995842646016

19 Likes

Does CHI mean both O’Hare and Midway?

6 Likes

I can’t stand ‘anti-American’ as an accusatory descriptor of a given action or sentiment. The term is far too abused and half the time invokes the ‘no true Scotsman’ fallacy anyway.

But.

Given that the United States is a nation of immigrants (OK, and many ethnicities assimilated or brought here against their will), an anti-immigration stance seems definitively anti-American.

13 Likes

21 Likes

This might not seem like it belongs in this thread, but I think it’s a good reminder that “those who do not learn from history will repeat it”: the PBS documentary “Dick Cavett’s Watergate” is just under an hour, and gives a good account of both how it’s possible for media and the public to keep the pressure up until something cracks and what the steps were that got the illegalities out in open court. Absolutely worth watching:

14 Likes

Yeah, good question. It needs some more detail there …

3 Likes

Especially from the son of an immigrant who is married to one.

14 Likes
11 Likes

Did two Civic Engagement things today.

The county Democratic party held a class on Advocacy – lobbying, really – today. Right across the street from my house as it happens. Emphasis on starting local and how-to build relationships with officials.

I left the class early to go to a Town Hall with Oregon’s Senator Merkley. That one very crowded school gym; lots of angry and alarmed liberals demanding action and asking what they could do to help.

Merkley is already a scrapper, opposed to pretty much every line of the Trump agenda.

14 Likes

Thank You, Garrison Keillor:

17 Likes

I adore the article linked to it as well:

7 Likes

Yay ACLU!

22 Likes

Yes, ORD, MDW, Gary, Rockford*, and a few others I haven’t heard of.

CHI is common IATA code for O’Hare International Airport (IATA: ORD), Midway International Airport (IATA: MDW), DuPage Airport (IATA: DPA), Gary/Chicago International Airport (IATA: GYY), Chicago Executive Airport (IATA: PWK) and Chicago Rockford International Airport (IATA: RFD)

*Rockford?!? Since when is Rockford part of Chicago?

5 Likes