A Round Up of Resistance to Trump (Part 1)

8 Likes

(I mean, presumably this is marketing for the TV series, but still…)

14 Likes

The ad campaign for The Man in the High Castle is actually pretty entertaining. The fact that it inspired a trump-supporter twitter meltdown is just icing on the cake:

Plus the knobs work and everything!

13 Likes

The following defies categorization, but I think this is close.

Here is the original text and English translation of an official letter to Trump from Ahmadinejad.

It appears that the former Iranian President is attempting to talk some sense into Trump.

That’s how unreal the situation is now: one of the ‘good guys’ on the side of resisting Trump’s ‘leadership’ is Ahmadinejad.

18 Likes

I admit I’m only two-thirds of the way through this letter but so far I haven’t read anything that isn’t glaringly obvious (ETA: well to anyone who reads non-U.S. news sources and/or has read at least a few of the darker chapters of U.S. history). Our political process is broken? Our country is a hegemonic power-hungry militaristic spendthrift? Wait a sec, I’m going to make a full pot of coffee because this is new shit come to light.

Also, it’s an effort for me to consider the thoughts of someone who has repeatedly, publicly denied the Holocaust. At the end of every wrought paragraph of this letter, I kept wondering the same thing: why are you writing this?

11 Likes

15 Likes

I know, right?

3 Likes
26 Likes

23 Likes

Mrs. Cynical is currently in Bangkok and sent me this:

17 Likes

What kind of alternate universe have we entered when David Frum is making sense:

13 Likes

I just finished read this. Wow. I would not have expected this degree of insight and dissent from Frum. That he didn’t just spin his wheels but also made a call to action was its own small shock. Great piece, thanks for sharing. I’m passing this along to friends and fam.

10 Likes

7 Likes

Any port in a storm, I guess.

2 Likes

Plot twist: picture is cut off and says Fuck Truman.

Surprisingly funky graffiti from 1951.

8 Likes

I think it also indicates how bad things are and that Frum has some integrity that he can stick by his own professed principles.

5 Likes

“[…]all the negative stereotypes that are laid against communities in America now were once laid against us. So I think any Irish American who celebrates St. Patrick’s Day but also supports the travel ban is somebody who has forgotten what it means to be Irish.”

15 Likes
15 Likes

Enclosure: [Objections and Answers Respecting the Administration], [18 August 1792]

15 Likes

Frum is fascinatingly straightforward

EDIT

Wait, what is going on!?

[quote=Frum]No wonder that Republican governors and senators, who must answer to state-wide electorates, sound increasingly queasy when they talk about ACA repeal and its Ryancare replacement. I wrote about Rand Paul last week, but he’s now seconded by many more. Those skeptics’ criticism seems increasingly based on the political risk of withdrawing coverage from those who have relied on it—and of course the House plan will withdraw coverage anywhere from millions. As they reject that risk is rejected as too hazardous, Republicans take the belated final steps on the road to universality.

And it is high time—past time!—they did so. Republicans have had too many competing goals in health-care reform. They have wanted to lower costs (to free fiscal room for tax cuts and military spending), but also to avoid tangling with entrenched health-care interests, which have decisively favored Republicans in recent years. Post-Obamacare, as before, the United States remains an outlier among advanced nations both in its absolute spending on healthcare and in that spending’s rate of growth. Even looking only at government expenditures, the U.S. spends a larger share of income on health care than Switzerland and Canada. That money does not buy better outcomes: if anything U.S. health-care outcomes are deteriorating.[/quote]

11 Likes