Thanks for the article because I don’t understand the situation that well, but I did understand the most important part which is in the first paragraph: “upending nearly seven decades of American foreign policy”.
You don’t walk into an explosive situation and start trying new things for no reason. If another administration were doing this, my first thought would be, “Wow, I wonder what is motivating that? What good do they think this will do that will outweigh the potential downside?”
With the Trump administration, I can’t even imagine anyone has weighed anything against anything. I’ll put my money down on this because the sequence that led to this:
- Trump knows that some people want the US embassy to be in Jerusalem.
- Trump tells Abbas he’s going to do this thinking that if someone wants it then whoever he’s talking to at the time will want it - he thought this would make Abbas happy
- Abbas’ aides tell the media
- People talk about how stupid it is
- Trump thinks, “You’re calling me stupid? I’ll show you!” and decides to actually do it.