A round up of Trumpian events 🖕🍊🤡

http://fox41yakima.com/prosecutors-manafort-wrote-op-ed-with-colleague-in-russia/
D’oh!

3 Likes
3 Likes

God damnit. That’s like one of my favorite sites. They laid off so many of their best writers both today and over the past year. At least David Wong is still there but he alone can’t carry the site unfortunately.

Fuck you, Scripps.

Just to reiterate:

Good post here:
http://forums.cracked.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=184226&start=40#p3032207

2 Likes

Fred was murdered today, forty-eight years ago.

Thread:

6 Likes

Look at the expressions of the cops.

4 Likes

Thread:

Reaction:

3 Likes

Following the money.

5 Likes
2 Likes

This is going to be just great.

What could fucking possibly go wrong?

5 Likes

Because, well, coal powered cars.

3 Likes

This goes here.

Oldcheers

3 Likes

More background on why this is such a dangerous move:

3 Likes
2 Likes

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/938228226442387457

2 Likes

Thanks for the article because I don’t understand the situation that well, but I did understand the most important part which is in the first paragraph: “upending nearly seven decades of American foreign policy”.

You don’t walk into an explosive situation and start trying new things for no reason. If another administration were doing this, my first thought would be, “Wow, I wonder what is motivating that? What good do they think this will do that will outweigh the potential downside?”

With the Trump administration, I can’t even imagine anyone has weighed anything against anything. I’ll put my money down on this because the sequence that led to this:

1. Trump knows that some people want the US embassy to be in Jerusalem.
  2. Trump tells Abbas he’s going to do this thinking that if someone wants it then whoever he’s talking to at the time will want it - he thought this would make Abbas happy
  3. Abbas’ aides tell the media
  4. People talk about how stupid it is
  5. Trump thinks, “You’re calling me stupid? I’ll show you!” and decides to actually do it.
8 Likes

I think also Trump knows that the more chaos he creates – the more sides we’re beset on – and I feel very beset – the more he can push his own agenda. What agenda? Winning, not losing, and being able to push an agenda, whatever whim strikes him as worth indulging today.

2 Likes

Trump’s base is primarily based on white Christian voters, and they want an embassy in Jerusalem because it is the birthplace of Jesus. This wouldn’t cost Trump or his family money, and only risks the lives of people not him, so it’s an easy promise to keep. Trump knows that he will be unpopular but keep power if he keeps his base around, so he leaks out promises when he’s looking particularly bad to turn the news cycle on the other thing he is doing.

I doubt Trump cares about pissing people off, unless its to give him a further stranglehold on that 30% of people that will dump money into his coffers in order to be handed lip service by a person in power.

4 Likes

I’ve been asking the same question, and trying to think of an answer not born out of pure cynicism, i.e., “well, if you want to profit from war, this is a good idea.”

It seems like the entire world, even Russia, is begging him not to do this. Beyond fulfilling a campaign promise that has some kind of vague symbolic value to ultra-right-wing Christians, I’m struggling to understand any possible upside to this move or who it might benefit, and I’m hoping someone can at least explain that.

4 Likes

tfw you realize you’re in the WWIII axis of evil with Duterte and Bibi…

1 Like