A round up of Trumpian events šŸ–•šŸŠšŸ¤”

The opinions make very interesting reading.

Even the majority opinion makes very clear that the proclamation was upheld despite Trump, not because of him.

The only reason it was upheld is that it was so different from what Trump said he would do that it does not in fact amount to a ā€˜Muslim banā€™.

The reason they upheld it is because it sets out a more or less rationally justified set of criteria based on more or less credible national security concerns and has numerous provisions for exemptions and waivers.

In short, it is not at all what Trump promised - " a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States".

Given the careful drafting done by the lawyers Trump derided for weakening his proposed travel ban and the extremely wide discretion and powers given to the President under your constitution when it comes to deciding which foreigners get to come to the US, the overall outcome is hardly surprising.

What I find concerning is the section of Thomas, Jā€™s opinion which lays in to the power of lower courts to grant such wide-ranging injunctions at all.

District courts, including the one here, have begun imposing universal injunctions without considering their authority to grant such sweeping relief. These injunctions are beginning to take a toll on the federal court systemā€”preventing legal questions from percolating through the federal courts, encouraging forum shopping, and making every case a national emergency for the courts and for the Executive Branch.

I am skeptical that district courts have the authority to enter universal injunctions. These injunctions did not emerge until a century and a half after the founding. And they appear to be inconsistent with longstanding limits on equitable relief and the power of Article III courts. If their popularity continues, this Court must address their legality.

And so onā€¦

The case is not in fact over by the way (although it practical terms it may well be).

The constitutionality of the travel ban has been decided (itā€™s fine as long as it is in fact operated as designed) but the main case is remanded back for determination on that basis.

6 Likes

This is helpful, thank you. Though it will by no means stop Trump from perceiving and declaring total victory, and inspire Yā€™allqueada from feeling extra-justified in their Yee-hawd vigilantism.

2 Likes

Yup, that sums it up.
Screenshot-2018-6-26%20Google%20News
link

3 Likes

Never that.

My ancestors survived seemingly insurmountable odds, so quitting just isnā€™t in me, no matter how frustrating current circumstances seem.

11 Likes

Weā€™re going to need more guns.

HarmoniousGrizzledEidolonhelvum-size_restricted

3 Likes

Good thing this is the USA then.

9 Likes

There was also this:

3 Likes
2 Likes

I wish the fact that Clinton won the popular vote, but our electoral college system installed shit-gibbon anyway, bothered people as much. Itā€™s much easier to blame people for ā€œvoting wrongā€ I guess, even though apparently the majority didnā€™t.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure they will find your outrage quite motivational.

I feel comfortable saying that Saint is ā€˜one of us,ā€™ those who comment in good faith; regardless if we actually agree.

That said, I understand your feelings of demoralization, completely; but letting it consume you is counterproductive.

The struggle is never-ending, but we automatically lose if we just give up.

3 Likes

I agree. I apologize. Iā€™m deleting all posts and withdrawing from political conversation for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

No need to apologize; I have to be my own 'mental cheerleader ā€™ every got damn day, just to keep going.

Taking frequent breaks from the ceaseless fuckery is essential to maintaining oneā€™s psychological well being.

5 Likes

Cheers then.

Go do something nice for yourself. Take an unscheduled vacation. Hug a loved one.

Youā€™re not alone.

6 Likes
4 Likes

https://twitter.com/b_fung/status/1011605767349264385?s=19

4 Likes

Update on Steve King, nazi message-appreciator:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/26/politics/steve-king-retweet-nazi-sympathizer/index.html

Asked why he wouldnā€™t delete a message from someone who has praised Nazi Germany, King said: ā€œBecause then itā€™d be like Iā€™m admitting that I did something, now Iā€™m sorry about it. Iā€™m not sorry. Iā€™m human.ā€

So heā€™s not sorry for re-tweeting a nazi because he agreed with the tweet, and doesnā€™t feel the need to apologize for doing so, even in error (spoiler: it wasnā€™t in error).

ā€œI had never heard his name before, and I donā€™t know why anybody would ever know his name, for that matter,ā€ King said. ā€œI think itā€™s really unjust for anyone to assign the beliefs of someone else because thereā€™s a message there among all of that. I mean itā€™s the message, not the messenger.ā€

Iā€™ve got too much to do today to dig around for Steve Kingā€™s thoughtful remarks about President Obamaā€™s former pastor shouting ā€œGod damn Americaā€ during a sermon on racial injustice and how we shouldnā€™t project that belief onto the president because that would be unjust, but Iā€™m sure theyā€™re extensive.

ā€œAnd by the way I didnā€™t even know it was his message. I thought it was a Breitbart message.ā€

That moment when you fail to grasp that your partyā€™s position overlaps so seamlessly with that of the nazis that you canā€™t tell them apart.

8 Likes

Steve King is a racist asshat. Iā€™m sure that he and Stephen miller are besties.

A summary from Vice:

Here he is expressing his expert opinion on the contributions made to western culture by non-white people:

And here he is defending Geert Wilders, noted Dutch asshole:

8 Likes

Hey guys, Iā€™ve been off-line all day, did I miss much?

(Checks Twitter)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

/me runs screaming

Separately, @nungesser I always enjoy your posts and get something from them. Take it easy on yourself.

8 Likes
4 Likes