A round up of Trumpian events šŸ–•šŸŠšŸ¤”

Heā€™s not quite wrong, you know!

Love,

Nigel

3 Likes
4 Likes

Putting aside the racism, I love the irony of this statement considering thousands of years of European history with it brutally colonizing Africa and the Middle East and, you know, destroying their culture.

9 Likes

Indeed, as well as the further ironies that European cultures have always been an amalgam of cultural influences, that theyā€™ve always benefited from such influences, and that current openness to immigration would continue such benefits.

Fascists gonna fascist, but facts will always resist.

6 Likes

Another greasy, grubby little man riding the coattails of history. I remember him whining about obama saying weā€™ll be at the back of the queue when it comes to a trade deal but now that herr dump seems to be actively trying to destroy it nigel is all likeā€¦ ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

3 Likes

VOX has an interesting take on why trump is so hell bent on shitting on NATO, UK and Europe in general. Basically he hates that white people are being displaced and Europe is doing nothing to stop it in his teeny little racist AF mind. Bonus: Pat Buchananā€™s thinking on the matter surfaces.

I am guessing that Bannonā€™s recent trip over there has been focused on laying the groundwork for this kind of nonsense.

6 Likes

He might want to ask Putin about his part in the Syria refugee problem, mainly caused by his puppet Assad.

5 Likes

https://www.inquisitr.com/4984831/donald-trump-sun-interview-tape/

9 Likes

What does it matter? He walked in front of the queen despite being expressly told not to. What does it matter? He said boris would make for a good PM while standing right next to may. What does it matter? What does anything matter anymore?

7 Likes

But do they need his help?

Furthermore, the influence of the US on politics in Europe is, in many ways, more impactful than that of European member states amongst each other. And I have to say that much of the problems of the EU are due to the US, since at least 2008.
(OTH, much of the success of the EU is also due to the US, pre-1993 at least, and quite possibly pre-2001.)

5 Likes

Thatā€™s succinctly the summarising the Trump doctrine.

6 Likes

My point was just that you keep hearing a lot more of EU members with political parties running on pulling out of the EUā€¦ The backtracking that Merkle had to do on the refugee crisis seems like a case in point, with the right wing party basically able to get some concessions from her on this key EU issue.

4 Likes

https://cen.acs.org/pharmaceuticals/drug-development/Trumps-tweets-prompt-Pfizer-postpone/96/i29

3 Likes
3 Likes

He made her wait FFS.

5 Likes

Yeah, I have the feeling his"negotiation" went something like this: ā€œyou can hike prices as much as you want after the midterms, but keep us in power through 2018, or, well, youā€™ve heard how popular universal healthcare on the left? I think we understand one another. now go out there and make me a folk hero!ā€

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ Iā€™m a republican when it comes to royalty but itā€™s the ungallant behaviour of a supposed world leader and a supposed human being. Iā€™m sure his base loves it though.

2 Likes

Skip the whole monarchy thing. He made a 92 year-old lady stand waiting on him.

9 Likes
3 Likes

While I see where you are coming from, the situation Trump is putting the EU (and specifically the NATO member states amongst them) in is, IMO and in the long run, more troublesome than EU domestic populist bullshit.

Considering Merkel and Seehofer, Iā€™d say itā€™s a very regional fuckshittery of a Bavarian arsehole who is trying to blackmail the whole gouvernment on behalf of his party. Thereā€™s regional elections coming up, and Seehofer and Sƶder are worried about their absolute (!) majority in the regional parliament. That said, Seehoferā€™s actions do have wider impact in the EU. However, the gouvernment and the commission are the relevant players, not one arsehole of a minister.

Sidenote: I think talking about a refugee crisis already buys into the framing used by the far right. This isnā€™t a refugee crisis, this is a populism crisis.

Trump, OTH, has the power of a whole gouvernment and of a massively important trade and arms partner. He a) chooses to give populist arseholes credibility and support and messes up the domestic affairs of several members (and future ex-membersā€¦) of the EU, and b) puts external pressure (in form of trade bullshit and NATO contribution bullshit, e.g.) on the member states which are trying to stabilise the EU.

He is actively sabotaging EU/UK negotiations, he is openly helping nationalists, and he is trying to get leverage to weaken the EU economy (which is trying to cope with the fallout of the financial fuckuppery of the past decades, including their very much own - however originating in a fucking nightmare of banking politics which in my understanding are due to neoliberalism which we imported from the US).

He has the power. And while former presidents used the same power, e.g. during the Clinton presidency, to open the European market and to spread neoliberlism as far as possible, they did do it in a consistent and comparability silent way. GATTS and other agreements pushed by the US did change EU societies, but their negotiations didnā€™t involve open public bullying.

This is a new quality of politics. I didnā€™t like the 90s way, but this is borderline criminal. If Trump continues like this, the EU might actually break. Which will be the end of a very peaceful period on the ā€œoldā€ continent. Fuck history repeating. :frowning:

Fascist are already tried out their language, and are now starting to try out their policies (see: Poland, Hungary, and Italy, of late). Their language is taking root (cf. refugee crisis) even outside their peer group. Iā€™m not all full-Humboldtian, language is just one part of how we think and act. But FFS, this fascist propaganda is is really getting to me.

Nearly a month ago, someone more eloquent than I wrote this:

After the G7, NATO and UK visits of the US supreme leader, I think this is spot on.

I think we have seen that our internal EU trouble (Brexit being one major issue here, Polandā€™s constitutional crisis and the Italian financial crisis on a good second and third place IMO) to the US are just the buttons it needs to press. Add some other trouble, like the ominous 2% (now 4%) demands, and get Russia back to the G7 - and Trump wins.

9 Likes