A round up of Trumpian events šŸ–•šŸŠšŸ¤”

Trump: I mean my mother was Scotland, my father was Germany. And ā€“ you know I love those countries. I respect the leaders of those countries.

So why does you keep insulting the Scottish first minister? Why did you intentionally not meet with her (I donā€™t think she wanted to, but that isnā€™t the point)?

2 Likes

I mean, youā€™re European, so I feel I should defer to you, but itā€™s not like some of the stuff heā€™s pushing on is new (the 2% of GDP for NATO was the target under Obama and Bush).

Except that there is a lot of people fleeing terrible situations that the right is most certainly making worse by insisting on closing the borders, which is causing major issues with the frontier countries who are taking them in (Italy and Greece). Much like here, the right wing is using the arrival of refugees to stir up nationalism, which includes some pretty strong anti-EU sentiment.

Sure, but so are members of Mayā€™s own party. Boris Johnson and Farage (from another party, but still aligned with the hard right of the Tories) are certainly using Trumpā€™s popularity among the far right for their own ends. Theyā€™re not just pawns in Trumpā€™s game here. They have agency and power to make decisions within their own countries, which they are using the controversial feelings about Trump (and general anti-American sentiment thatā€™s long existed in Europe) to move things to the right.

I think that the far right in Europe is using Trump as much as heā€™s using them. The use of fear of refugees (or the ā€œotherā€ which has become Muslims with darker skin), the ultranationalist rhetoric around ā€œcultureā€, the appeals to move away from a shared economic and political future with the rest of Europeā€¦ He didnā€™t start all that, they are just benefiting from him stating it in public, I think.

Sure, but it has national/EU wide consequences. Merkel was holding the line on German acceptance of refugees, and sheā€™s now had to back off because of Seehofer. If Germany doesnā€™t hold the line, thatā€™s a huge problem.

Iā€™m not trying to say that Trump isnā€™t a problem or that heā€™s not pushing the EU. Iā€™m saying that EU politicians have agency and are using Trump as much as heā€™s using them.

8 Likes

And Trump was already pissed off at Canada.

6 Likes

Yeah - I have little interest in the Royal family but was pretty stunned by how he was making every effort to shit in the backyard of the country hosting him.

And now heā€™s calling the EU a foe and telling Teresa May she should sue the EU? Jesus H Christ on pogo stick.

8 Likes

I agree with most of what you write, but nevertheless think that the US have a significant influence, most of all economically.

Just FTR:

Foe. Holy shit.

ETA:
I am between a rock and a hard place right now, and canā€™t respond properly. If I can, I shall return to your points during the week, because I think you deserve a proper response.

9 Likes
6 Likes

I donā€™t disagree, but the fact that Trump targeted the EU for tariffs is telling. Isnā€™t the EU the 3rd largest economy, after the US and China? But again, ā€œfoeā€ or whatever Trump says, that language is going to be embraced by the European right and probably already has. Economic nationalism tends to go hand in hand with right wing politics.

Thanks for the link!

chitty-chitty-bang-bang-DVD-hi

1 Like

Hereā€™s that (incredibly stupid) episode with Coulter in it (at 3:41)

1 Like

Putin and trump behind closed doors. JHC

1 Like

5 Likes

trumper tantrum in 5ā€¦ 4ā€¦ 3ā€¦

8 Likes

Fuck Jeff Flake! He had opportunity after opportunity to help stop trumpā€™s agenda and did nothing. He is still doing nothing. Nothing. His bullshit tweets are just that, more bullshit.

Shame on him.

10 Likes

republican patriots?? Ha. Welcome the Politburo West 'murica.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Thereā€™s a reckoning comingā€¦

8 Likes

"A Republican official close ā€” and friendly ā€” to the White House said, ā€œWe now know why he wanted to meet one on one.ā€ -CNN

7 Likes

Well, fuck.

6 Likes
4 Likes

ā€œFrom the President on down, we must do everything in our power to protect our democracy by securing future elections from foreign influence and interference, regardless of what Vladimir Putin or any other Russian operative says.ā€ -Orrin Hatch (R- Utah)

Referring to the president or the president?

5 Likes

Putin Who?

FauxNews%20Today_Putin%20Who

trumpā€™s propaganda machine turns a silent eyeā€¦

8 Likes