A round up of Trumpian events šŸ–•šŸŠšŸ¤”

Truth, and why 2020 could still end up an unmitigated disaster:

8 Likes

Itā€™s all about him. ā€œBorder securityā€ is just a charade. Heā€™d rather get nothing than show ā€œweaknessā€ (or as saner minds would say, ā€œcompromiseā€).

The art of the deal, indeed.

11 Likes

I 100% expect Mittens to be the Flake replacement nobody was asking for.

8 Likes

All Hail President Ahistorical Word Salad

4 Likes

Itā€™s the established mainstream bipartisan American security state narrative re: Afghanistan and the USSR (i.e. that the cost and unrest created by the Afghan war heavily contributed to the fall of the Soviet Union).

http://dgibbs.faculty.arizona.edu/brzezinski_interview

Brzezinski: Yes. According to the official version of history, CIA aid to the Mujahadeen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan, 24 Dec 1979. But the reality, secretly guarded until now, is completely otherwise: Indeed, it was July 3, 1979 that President Carter signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul. And that very day, I wrote a note to the president in which I explained to him that in my opinion this aid was going to induce a Soviet military intervention.

Q: Despite this risk, you were an advocate of this covert action. But perhaps you yourself desired this Soviet entry into war and looked to provoke it?

Brzezinski: It isnā€™t quite that. We didnā€™t push the Russians to intervene, but we knowingly increased the probability that they would.

Q: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United States in Afghanistan, people didnā€™t believe them. However, there was a basis of truth. You donā€™t regret anything today?

Brzezinski: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter: We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war.

&

The second bit of Trumpā€™s statementā€¦

ā€¦is heretical to say in public (because the USA norm is to pretend that the Mujahideen werenā€™t terrorists and that the Soviets werenā€™t invited in by the Afghan government), but that isnā€™t because itā€™s false.

OTOH, Iā€™d quibble with ā€œright to be thereā€. Letā€™s just say that the Soviet presence in Afghanistan was no less justified than the US presence in Vietnam.

5 Likes

Chewbacca is a Wookieā€¦

1 Like

Casting shade on Saint Reagan, who destroyed the Soviet Union and tore down the wall?

1 Like

Read this in the Washington Post

He claimed that if he wanted to, he could have any government job in Europe and be popular there. He cast his unpopularity among European publics as a sign he is doing his job well.

Luckily Iā€™ve been immunized against his stupid by now or Iā€™ve would done a spit take and ruined my laptop.

5 Likes

Good Morning!

tenor%20(17)

8 Likes

I look forward to his speech about why heā€™s really torn up about his vote to dissolve congress and hand all power to the president.

9 Likes

Well, fuckā€¦

5 Likes

Here we goā€¦

6 Likes

Heā€™s really going for the title of most sued president/admin in US history, isnā€™t he?

7 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s going to get far after today. /s

6 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it doesā€¦ enough people who are both democrats and republicans favor various forms of privatization.

6 Likes

Then only wealthy states, counties, cities, neighborhoods have good stuff. Got it!

4 Likes

No, Iā€™m saying both democrats and republicans have supported privatization initiatives in the past and both would do so again. The Neoliberal agenda is active within both parties.

[ETA] Honestly, I have no faith that the mainstream of the democratic party arenā€™t going to continue along that centrist path, unless pushed to do otherwise by the more progressive wing of the party. The Republicans are fully committed to the neoliberal agenda, but the Dems can be swayed by pressure.

10 Likes

Here in Va weā€™re paying the price in regards to roads as both sides went all in to privatize the tolls.

So, yeah it can happen.

2 Likes

I guess Iā€™m not making myself very clear here. Sorry. Iā€™ll shut it.

JFC!

Dear GOP, we know youā€™re a dumpster-fire, but you donā€™t need to spend every second of every day reminding us. Itā€™s okay, you can take a day off from being human canker-sores on the body politic. Weā€™re not in any danger of forgetting.

13 Likes