A round up of Trumpian events šŸ–•šŸŠšŸ¤”

Hell-bent or just Hell bound? I am betting on the latter.

5 Likes

I donā€™t love using this personā€™s quote as iconic of anything. The person being quoted in that article isnā€™t a PR person or a professional communicator, they are just some person who got asked a person-on-the-street question. To me this looks like confirmation bias - we already know that some of Trumpā€™s followers actually do get off on thinking of people being hurt. The article picks a statement as emblematic of that when I donā€™t think we should take much meaning from it other than ā€œIā€™m unhappy with whatā€™s going on.ā€

Now this, on the other hand. Like, Shapiro asked him if he worked for Russia as a softball, and he doesnā€™t even understand he should put the word ā€œnoā€ in his answer somewhere?

This is ā€œI am not addicted to crack cocaineā€ from Rob Ford when asked if he had smoked crack.

So you did it, right?

5 Likes

Just a little sample of what Family Guy did

I feel like the fact that it isnā€™t coming from a PR professional gives it extra weight. Itā€™s not polished to within an inch of its life to say nothing at all; itā€™s someoneā€™s off-the-cuff heartfelt response. Treating ā€œheā€™s not hurting the right peopleā€ as yet another ā€œeconomic anxietyā€ quote is to willfully ignore the intent behind it. This absolutely fits into the ā€œwhen someone shows you who they are, believe them the first timeā€ puzzle right alongside all of the ā€œtheyā€™re not American babiesā€ clap-backs when Trump supporters were implored to give a single shit about the people seeking asylum on the southern border.

The cruelty is the point.

2 Likes

I read ā€œtheyā€™re not American babiesā€ really differently. That one the intent is unavoidable. With this one I really could see that just being a garbled (garbled to me anyway) ā€œheā€™s hurting good peopleā€. Even in that very kind reading of it, it still implies that there are good people and bad people and bad people deserve whatā€™s coming to them; but I find that to be an extremely common moral sentiment that goes way further than Trump voters.

Anyway, Iā€™m just waxing philosophic, I guess. I might cut the specific individual so slack in how they expressed themselves, but in the best case scenario I still think that: 1) the person in question is probably willing to discount peopleā€™s humanity based on whether Trump says they are enemies or not; and 2) there are many people who follow Trump whose beliefs fit the least uncharitable reading of those words.

And finally, the article doesnā€™t even go on at length about the specific individual.

So basically, what I guess I was saying was, ā€œHold your horses, there. There is a moderate chance that a specific, named individual is someone youā€™d disagree with over a slightly different issue than the one implied by that article.ā€

Totally worth saying!

3 Likes

It would be nice if they would censure Trump for a few things too, but Iā€™ll take what I can get.

8 Likes
11 Likes

#nottheonion

5 Likes

tng-riker-eyeroll

5 Likes

Seriously, junk food for professional (or soon to be at least) athletes? Makes sense :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Dershowitz predictably suggests that nothing Mueller has found is illegal, and that the FBI probe news that dropped on Friday was actually illegal.

Dershowitz is tied to Jeff Epstein, more definitively than either Trump or Clinton.

If we see a bunch of people go to jail from the Mueller investigation, either directly or new investigations spawned from it, I think Dershowitz is going down with the rest of them.

4 Likes

ā€œWeā€™re going to allow the GOP Senate to choose which agencies are funded and which are left to starve, presenting them with an unprecedented opportunity to reshape the Federal government to their whimsā€.

Pelosiā€™s ā€œexpertiseā€ at work.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Might not be so bad if the Pentagon sees some cuts.

But I think we all know it will be anything but that.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1084870481457496065?s=21

3 Likes

Speaking of ā€œThe Wonderful Companyā€, see here:

Corruption, imperialism, war, exploitation, environmental destruction. Thereā€™s a bit of everything in this one.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I remember seeing a list of what Michael Phelps ate on a typical day. It turns out that when you need 12,000 calories a day for your training regimen, you can eat quite a bit of garbage and empty calories.

I think that does show her expertise, itā€™s just that her expertise is political, not policy related. That strategy has nothing to do with serving the people or the country and everything to do with shaping public opinion. They are just creating more and more ammunition for the ā€œthis is their shutdownā€ argument.

Yes, paying out of pocket is not ā€œsocialized medicineā€ but heading to Canada is proof* that Rand Paul believes ā€œsocialized medicineā€ produces the best outcomes at the best price. Thatā€™s actually the argument I want to win. Once we all agree that publicly funded medicine produces the best outcomes at the best price, then itā€™s up to democratic countries to decide for themselves if thatā€™s what they want.

* Libertarian standard of proof

10 Likes

Without OHIP or another equivalent provincial plan, heā€™d be billed at any Ontario hospital.

Thatā€™s a load of bafflegab from his Chief Strategist to cover the embarrassment.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think the real point is that he is choosing to get something done in Ontario that he could get done in the US. If private care produces better results, why not use it? Heā€™s admitting that single-payer produces high quality results that people outside of single-payer systems would be willing to pay for.

6 Likes