A round up of Trumpian events 🖕🍊🤡

If losing an election wouldn’t do it, he’d probably resist other legal means too.

6 Likes

Her questioning was direct, on-point, and full of smart follow ups (“who should we contact for this information?”) that resulted in actual usable names and info. Her five minutes was some of the most actually productive questioning all day.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4782913/aoc-questions-cohen

12 Likes

This is basically what some contingent of Fox and Breitbart commentators have been saying. Civil War in case of Impeachment.

I doubt they’d be so incensed if he just lost reelection bid. And if I’m honest, I think the majority of that small contingent are just keyboard cowboys and when push comes to shove they won’t do fucking shit.

7 Likes

Kim Jong Un is playing Individual-1 like a fiddle.
Meanwhile, Iran is taking notes.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Thread.

4 Likes

SO👏MUCH👏WINNING👏 by Kim Jong Un

11 Likes

Well, I have to admit, he was right. I really, truly am so damn tired of so much winning. So very tired.

5 Likes

It’s funny, trump 2020 ads are popping up on The Hill homepage now with messages of “Trump Delivers”. Guess they didn’t get the memo on NK yet.

Delivers? Pizza maybe.

6 Likes

Mr. “Truth Isn’t Truth” chimed in on the Cohen testimony

4 Likes

Please%20sir

Perish the thought. Trump would drive like he owns the road. He’d cause accidents out of ignorance, arrogance, and inattention, and then he’d blame the other drivers for not being able to afford nicer cars.
We’ll all be safer with him in a limousine, particularly if we push him off a cliff.

6 Likes

I don’t think there will be an all out armies-marching civil war in the US. But say a small fraction of them are serious. I think a “civil war” would look more like a sustained terrorist campaign akin to the IRA bombings during the troubles. The keyboard warriors would be the sympathizers that connected the terrorist wing to the political wing. This is essentially already happening, but could become significantly more intense.

Hamberders, actually.

10 Likes

Comparisons with The Troubles might be a bit on the high end, but I could absolutely see some low level domestic terrorism, similar to what we are currently seeing upped a notch or three. And no, I am not going to minimize that. It could be frightening as hell. Especially since access to soft targets is exponentially easier if you are a local rather than an imported terrorist, and add in the fact that there are a not small number of rural sheriffs who will sympathize wholeheartedly with the “freedom fighters.” Yeah, we are living out the Chinese curse “May you live in interesting times.”

7 Likes

I agree. I think it’s what a civil war would look like in America today. I don’t know if I’m on the bandwagon that there will actually be that civil war.

2 Likes

Especially since the divisions are not actually geographic, but urban vs rural, educated vs not so much, etc. The “enemy” is very much “among us” from whichever viewpoint you take. Also worth keeping in mind that, although they deny it, the hard rightwing is very much a minority of a minority. Asymmetric warfare would be the only way they could fight. I fear ugliness and unrest, but not outright “civil war” as such.

3 Likes

I don’t think they actually believe that. They believe in tribalism much more so than your average left-leaning person, and I am pretty certain that when push comes to shove they think anyone who ever voted Republican will line up behind them.

4 Likes

They are a tiny fraction of the population, but I look at what happens in the wake of a large mass shooting like Orlando or Las Vegas. The national solidarity against that kind of violence lasts shorter and shorter every time. I don’t know if leaders even pretend anymore. They hardly even get out words about thoughts and prayers before its back to taking sides on gun control.

Terrorism can be a way of galvanizing a political base even if that political base opposes the terrorism.

They may not be right, it but it sure seems like nearly everyone who has been elected to office as a federal Republican would line up behind them.

5 Likes

There’s also the fact that many people are just opportunistic. If they have opportunities to profit from conflict they will, and so they’ll pour money and support into whichever faction suits their plans. Right now the hard right is already a terrorist organization, funded by billionaires with special interests, that is treated with kid gloves by a government that is concerned mostly with opportunities for personal profit for its officials. I think if the US has anything like a civil war it will be a cold war of attrition in which infrastructure decay causes the greatest casualties mostly to civilians against a backdrop of escalating acts of terror from the right wing and escalating grabs for power by the most opportunistic of individuals. Wait… wait… I forgot, that’s already the past.

6 Likes

And there you have it. Infrastructure decay is well advanced at this point, the “war on the poor” is in full swing. No firearms needed. Just refuse to invest in roads, bridges, healthcare and schools and let them as cannot afford private education, insurance and helicopters fall by the wayside.

7 Likes

This seems almost like a best possible outcome. Trump gets embarrassed, and he doesn’t give away the store. (Of course on the other hand as Trump is embarrassed, Kim is elevated further with photo ops and even answering reporter’s questions (!).)

Surely nobody thought there would be any actual breakthroughs from this charade, right?

4 Likes