A round up of Trumpian events 🖕🍊🤡

If this is true … holy fuck. What a bunch of incompetent clowns.

10 Likes

Yeah, in light of this, it’s in poor taste to joke about it. I’ve deleted the original post.

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s just … wow. (If true, like you said.)

5 Likes

I work in tech, and have for almost my entire adult life. I’ve seen the shift from domestic workers toward largely immigrant work forces in my field. The emotional/prejudiced side of me wants to say “great, finally something I can get behind” but the pragmatist in me knows this won’t lead to anything good.

First there’s the getting rid of the lottery and going on merit. I just know “merit” is going to include some sort of bias – either conscious or unconscious. The lottery at the very least has some assurances of impartiality.

45 seems deluded enough to think that by making it more difficult to get H1B visas that companies are going to start “hiring American.” This is simply not true. All this means is that companies are going to further shift jobs to Canada or other places that are more friendly to immigration – or these companies will simply start doubling down on hiring for jobs in India or China rather than dealing with the H1B hassle. Meanwhile there’s not going to be any sort of dent in Americans working high tech unless they themselves emigrate.

What 45 doesn’t get is nearly all tech jobs – from architecture, to programming, to systems administration are fungible (I love that word). There’s very few truly exceptional engineers out there. For every visionary or superstar in the tech world, you have hundreds if not thousands of of dime-a-dozen interchangeable plebs underneath them actually getting shit done. And these people can be from – and work from anywhere in the world.

12 Likes

Trump is going to “call up Canada” and… demand our dairy industry purchase your milk? Uh… can you do that? I don’t think you can do that…

This is what its all about btw, in case you care about the intricacies of the dairy industry in Canada and the USA.

13 Likes

11 Likes

Canada has some nerve producing its own milk rather than buying American milk. Believe me. This is about to change, I guarantee it. /s

13 Likes

This and probably more of the latter. One of the big groups of developers supported by the last team I worked for were in Chennai and they all worked by vpn to local work servers in the data center.

7 Likes

Sure, because the US doesn’t purposely overproduce milk and subsidize the farming industry and those dairy farms are not notorious for hiring strictly undocumented staff to run their lines 24/7. It’s obviously because Canada is buying that cheap and inferior Canadian milk. /s

EDIT

Also, wouldn’t buying US milk only even be competitive because of our trade agreements?

9 Likes

And this is all over the ONE dairy item that isn’t covered by NAFTA. aka - a fucking loophole. So we found a way to plug that loophole and we’re the ones being “unfair”? - crazy! Also… Canada is tiny compared to the USA. If the entire state of Wisconsin is depending on the Canadian market… then something is seriously wrong!

8 Likes

Don’t underestimate him. If there’s one thing Trump can do, it’s make inane demands that probably won’t have any realistic impact.

11 Likes

I wish someone had said “Sure, why don’t you go ahead and ride one down?”

3 Likes

I don’t think he’s deluded. I think he just doesn’t care. As long as he does something, many of his followers will stand up and cheer, thinking he’s actually accomplished something-even if it has the opposite effect they want. They certainly don’t care about facts, that’s why they are Trump supporters.

Look at all the nothing he’s done, even while convincing his supporters he’s doing something:

1. Talked to Carrier. Effect: None
  2. Designated small amounts for wall-building. Effect: None
  3. Tried to ban Muslims. Effect: None
  4. Lashed out at press. Effect: None
  5. Talked about coal. Effect: None, or more water pollution
  6. Talked about China. Effect: None, or yet to be seen
  7. EO about H1B visas. Effect: jobs move out of country
  8. Deported Illegals. Effect: Higher food prices soon?
8 Likes
9 Likes

Yup. Trump flat out lied, and the Defense Dept was too chickenshit to speak up.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/18/524560773/that-armada-heading-to-north-korea-actually-it-sailed-south

13 Likes

Oh, you kids and your facts!

7 Likes

Interesting bit from that article buried at the bottom:

Last week, the department suspended publishing weekly reports on cities it accused of failing to cooperate with federal deportation efforts because it acknowledged the reports had been riddled with errors.

9 Likes

What’s really stupid here is that China, Russia, etc. knew/knows EXACTLY where these ships were/are and where they were/are going and I’m betting the farm they alerted NK to those facts on Day 01. Trump thinks he can lie in the age of spy sats, listening posts, spies, etc. but he cannot. That stupid old man still thinks we operate in a world of hot air balloons with black and white cameras attached and talking to each other using telegraph wires.

China, Russia and the like are laughing their collective asses off.

“If you threaten them and your threat is not credible, it’s only going to undermine whatever your policy toward them is. And that could be a logical conclusion from what’s just happened,” said North Korea expert Joel Wit at the 38 North monitoring group, run by Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies. -Reuters

Japan and S. Korea: “So, you you got our backs right?”

10 Likes

Disgusting. Nothing like a brain damaged kid to be targeted as a bad hombre.

3 Likes

When Mexico sends it people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

3 Likes