A short, squat, useless Robocop comes to NYC

Originally published at: A short, squat, useless Robocop comes to NYC | Boing Boing

3 Likes

The robot, armed with four cameras, will record video but not audio. It will not employ facial recognition

K5, “I have no fingers to cross, and I must lie.”

19 Likes

It’s not useless at all! It is very good at funneling money out of public coffers into the pockets of private industry with massive markups all along the way through a daisy chain of non resident middlemen!

23 Likes

It’s hard to imagine how this oversized roomba will help.

It’s hard to imagine how this boondoggle will survive 24 hours in Times Square station without being vandalised.

16 Likes

The robot doesn’t use facial recognition. Now, the DVR where footage from the robot gets archived indefinitely; well, I didn’t say anything about the DVR…

8 Likes

The facial recognition is on the cloud.

9 Likes

Just the opening wedge of “What the future will bring-”

6 Likes

Maybe the existential dread of trying to help mankind while being a not-so-appreciated member of the NYC PD will cause the robot to resign permanently like this one did.

Same manufacturer by the looks.

14 Likes

Even 1970’s BBC would be embarrassed to broadcast this pound-shop Dalek.

10 Likes

So a typical NYPD officer then.

9 Likes

Ahh, its appearance brings back some old memories. Maybe not what you’re thinking.
Schmoo

9 Likes

I guess this one in is a subway station? So it’s going to jump on the tracks?

6 Likes

and if they included LLM and (chat)GTP and “A.I.” (oh my) scraped from police body cams it could start right out being racist and abusive; learn from community experience, if-you-will (-sigh-) (“At least the graffiti artists should get in their licks nicely given that shiny white chassis”)

6 Likes

how will it stop and frisk?
how will it choke-hold?
how will it plant evidence?
Simply put, these cop-a-trons can’t do what a normal human cop can do.

Take that as you will.

3 Likes

Or one of these?

I had the Bugs Bunny one.

12 Likes

Getting a distinct Lathe of Heaven vide from the thing…

IMG_3453

2 Likes

gum, graffiti, thrown drinks, and spray paint over the cameras. will also make a great place to tape ads and fliers. ( if drunk men don’t get into pushing contests with it first )

10 Likes

How long before it’s plastered with an ARCAB sticker?

7 Likes

i feel like an illegal gambling pool based on how long it takes to gets defaced, and by what, is only fitting.

i’ve got 5 dollars on glitter bomb in 3 days. and 10 dollars on chewing gum in 35 seconds.

who’s with me? :smile_cat:

5 Likes

Somehow less useful than Robogarda

5 Likes