A survivalist on why you shouldn't bug out

2 Likes

Sorry! XD

2 Likes

I’d guess they still had their shotguns in their back rooms. As plan B. With plan A played to minimize the need for plan B.

Iterated prisoner dilemma; first offer cooperation, then do what the other side did in the previous turn. With occasional forgiveness added it gives optimal results.

1 Like

I dunno, one should watch the documentary, “The Monsters Are on Maple Street”

1 Like

3D printer. That could be handy…

I tend to think that the best protection is a community struggling to survive with a few rifles. Any organized gang could kill them, but why bother? You’re only going to suffer losses to steal a few weeks of food at best. If you keep doing that, you won’t exist long in this world.

An over-engineered perimeter defense just shouts “there’s something worth protecting!” to me. As a desperate bandit king, that’s the sort of place I’d want to attack. Sure, we’ll die in unpleasant numbers. But afterwards I’ll have the guns, and the survival gear, and the fortress. That sort of “riches or die trying” can be very attractive to somebody dying as it is.

Besides having things worth stealing, another great way to attract hostility is to blow somebody’s child up. I’m not convinced landmines will consistently communicate “go away” and not “I’m going to kill the guy who placed these”.

2 Likes

until you run out of filament made in China.

1 Like

True, such gangs won’t exist in such form for long - but to survive in long term you have to survive the roving gangs during the timespan of their existence.

With enough firepower the facility can serve as a sink for the bandits. Kind of like a bottle with sugar water used to deplete the local stock of wasps.

Which is why you have multiple facilities set up like this. All containing poisoned food to finish off anyone strong enough to get through.

3 Likes

I’ll have to start working on the plastic recycler/filament extruder…

1 Like

Who scared us so much about each other that most of us spend so much time jabbering like traumatized paranoids about how to defend ourselves from each other?

10 Likes

Reminds me of the Rhododendron Honey song by Leslie Fish. (Sorry, only lyrics, I wasn’t able to find the music online.)

Excellent thing to do. Try to measure the diameter of the filament going out in two perpendicular directions, for quality control and feedback for the machine. Also try to measure the force on the extruder screw.

…if we’d want to go extra-fancy, we could add Raman spectrometer for assessing the quality of the feedstock, or even the degree of thermal degradation of the result (plastics hate having long thermal history, the time spent being hot degrades the chains).

This rig would be good not just for recycling but also for making arbitrary mixes, using some commonly available polymers as the host matrix and functional fillers for advanced properties.

1 Like

Fox News.

It is sublimated rage from white folks who got nervous when civil rights for blacks happened.

4 Likes

Hot cup of coffee. Stay back.

5 Likes

Thoughts?

1 Like

Get a room, you two!

2 Likes

Ask me since I’ve actually had one.

It is shit unless you’re desperate. It isn’t worth the money to do and the quality is often uneven.

Filament is so cheap and reliable (overall) that it isn’t worth it to do this.

2 Likes

Looks good to me. (And to the waaant bookmarks it goes.)

Misses the quality control feedbacks like filament diameter testing and possibly detection of inclusions and bubbles. Which can be potentially added as an upgrade.

Thought. Printing directly from the granules, with large (1mm+) nozzle, for large objects with lower resolution.

But aren’t white people only mutant black people?

1 Like

6 Likes